Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

Laminated Turkish 28-32+ yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, May 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Ive been seeing some impressive 28+m Turkish built yachts from SES, Mengi Yay and others. Newer boats and many with Cat engines, but a laminated hull. This certainly explains the price difference between production Italian boats. Are these boats yacht quality? Issues?

Some examples for discussion. http://akasiayachting.com/yachts-for-sale
  2. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Interesting video on the process and layup.
  3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Nothing wrong at all with a good quality wood-epoxy construction. That´s just as durable as it can get. When built by a skilled yard I´d prefer a wood-epoxy boat over conventional GRP with foam core any time! Important are the details like through-hull fittings. Holes should be sealed properly with epoxy before installation.
    From the video they seem to be quite generous with staples, though... :D
  4. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

From the viedeo I won´t be happy with leaving the staples in the wood and just covering them with the next veneer layer. Furthermore I´d prefer a different ratio of bed-and cove-planks and the outer cold-molded skin (less plank thickness and more veneers). In the result what they showed leads to a valid boat, but that´s not exactly finest craftsmanship in wood-epoxy-technique.
    (got a hint from a fellow member that my first comment on the video shown here might be missleading)
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So 40 years of this system. I'd like to see some core history from something that old. Light destruction (core plug samples with staples) survey samples would get my attention from an old hull.

I'm here on a Huckins dock. Lots of wood/epoxy hulls around me. One of my favs is 60+ years old behind me. Hull still solid.

I do have a hard time understanding that all that wood and glue is lighter than FRP.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Pick up a 1/2" thick 3'x3' fiberglass hatch, it's heavy.....pick up a 1/2" thick piece of laminated wood and it's a lot lighter...... look at the custom cold molded SF, they come in about 2/3 the weight of a fiberglass boat.
  7. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Fine Thing about Wood-epoxy ist that matetial fatigue is no issue. :)