Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Delta

Lakes Pilots Association getting more pilots, new boat

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Apr 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Lakes Pilots Association getting more pilots, new boat

4/7 - Port Huron, Mich. – A 12 percent increase in the rates Great Lakes pilots can charge foreign flag vessels means an additional three pilots for the Lakes Pilots Association in Port Huron.

The U.S. Coast Guard-approved increase went into effect Wednesday. The increase will allow for more American pilots across the Great Lakes, and possibly fewer ships waiting just north of the Blue Water Bridge for an American pilot.

“The Coast Guard realized finally that we need to be compensated fairly to attract new people,” said George Haynes, a pilot and vice president of the Lakes Pilots Association.

Haynes said Great Lakes pilots — based on the difficulty of their work and skill level required — have been the lowest paid in the country for his entire career.

The Lakes Pilots Association out of Port Huron is a private company that provides piloting services to foreign vessels entering the lakes from the ocean. Foreign vessels are required by both the U.S. and Canada to have an American or Canadian pilot on board since the foreign ship officers aren’t licensed in the U.S.

The American or Canadian pilot helps handle communication with other vessels and ports, or give ship crews advice on how to safely navigate the rivers and waterways.

The rate increase would mean those foreign vessels pay more to have an American pilot on board.

The rate increase applies to all Great Lakes pilotage rates, allowing for the hire of a total of nine additional pilots among the three companies that pilot foreign flag vessels on the Great Lakes. Lakes Pilots Association provides pilots on Lake Erie, the Detroit River, the St. Clair River and all the ports in between.

The rate increases and the change in the methodology to tally that rate would set each pilot’s target compensation at $326,114, according to a March 7 report from the U.S. Coast Guard.

It would increase the rates for about 126 foreign flag vessels by 12 percent – an about $1.86 million increase from 2015. The Coast Guard also authorized a temporary surcharge of $1.65 million to cover the costs of hiring and training additional pilots. The rates will be reviewed again next year.

The rate changes were prompted by complaints from the pilots and industry officials regarding revenue shortfalls that impeded “safe, efficient and reliable pilotage service,” according to the report from the U.S. Coast Guard.

“They said these shortfalls are the primary reason that the associations could not provide sufficient pilot compensations to attract, hire, and retain qualified pilots,” the Coast Guard report said.

“… Industry has agreed that there is a shortage of qualified pilots and said that the decay of association infrastructure jeopardized the pilots’ ability to ensure vessel safety and provide efficient, reliable service.”

Foreign flag vessels aren’t happy with the increase, which they feel will far exceed the Coast Guard’s 12 percent estimate.

Michael Broad, president for the Shipping Federation of Canada, estimates the new increase will be closer to 46 percent more than the foreign flag vessels paid in 2015. The Shipping Federation of Canada represents all of the foreign flag shipping lines entering the Great Lakes.

Broad said the Coast Guard’s final rule was dismissive of industry comments and relied on anecdotal evidence rather than hard facts.

“We tried to appeal to the Coast Guard’s sense of accountability but that doesn’t seem to have worked so I guess we’ll have to decide what to do moving forward,” Broad said. “We’re looking at all options, including legal action.”

Haynes said the additional pilots are sorely needed. In 2014, the Lakes Pilots Association employed 10 pilots, its lowest number of pilots since 1960.

He said the low rates authorized by the Coast Guard have not been enough to attract qualified and experienced pilots. The new pilots in Port Huron will increase the association’s numbers from 11 to 14, and total pilot numbers across the Great Lakes from 41 to 50.

“They would not have come here if we didn’t have that rate increase,” Haynes said. “Now, we’ll be able to service the ships without delays.”

The Lakes Pilots Association also is in the midst of building a new pilot boat used to transport pilots to and from freighters.

Haynes said, in 2013, the Great Lakes Pilotage Authority of Canada asked Lakes Pilots to provide a more reliable pilot boat in Detroit. Haynes said both pilot agencies and foreign flag vessels have pitched in to pay for the $1.6 million cost of the new pilot boat.

The 53-foot boat is being built by Gladding-Hearn in Somerset, Massachusetts, and should be ready by September.

The new boat will replace the Huron Belle in Port Huron, which was built in 1979. The Huron Belle will be moved to Detroit and replace the Huron Maid, which was not built for heavy seas, Haynes said.

The new boat will be called the Huron Mist. Haynes said the pilots association asked the Jim Acheson foundation to name the boat in honor of Acheson’s contributions to the community.

Haynes said the increase in pilots and investment in infrastructure are a relief for Great Lakes pilots.

“We’ll look back on this year as the Great Expansion,” Haynes said. “We’ve never hired this many people in one year and our last boat was built in 1979.”

Port Huron Ti
  2. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Here is an interesting article on cost for Great Lake Pilots.
    I think they made a mistake about cost of $ 400,000 it should be around $ 60,000
    I had a call this spring from a Captain large yacht over 35 M about the pilot fees and because she was foreign flag they needed a pilot for the St. Lawrence River to Montreal and Seaway Locks and Lake Pilots all the way to Port Huron and it was going to cost her $ 60,000 return .
    If yacht is US flagged you only need Seaway pilots for the locks and St. Lawrence River no Lake pilots, cost about $ 18,000 one way.
    If yacht is Canadian flagged you need a pilot if yacht is over 500 tons.
    http://www.drakenexpeditionamerica....reat-lakes-and-the-tall-ships-challenge-2016/
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So, am I reading this correctly? A Great Lakes Pilot makes a yearly salary of around $326,114 per year to work what 8 months a year????
  4. timvail

timvail Senior Member

If that's the correct salary, then iam coming out of retirement!
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

J,
    You need to research what Pilots make in the U.S. Its usually is based on how long the run is so lets say Savannah River pilots and Sacramento river / San Fran Bay are two of the top tier along with Sandy Hook rounding the top three out . All three of these pilots association pay their senior pilots close to $500,000.00 a year.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know what they get paid. But $324k a year for smaller freighters than Savannah handles and a season that is not year round is not a slouch IMO. The Welland canal is shut down for what 4 months? per year for winter.
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Too funny, I'd rather travel / pilot the 25.5 miles and deal with the current and wind of Tybee Roads as a Savannah pilot than deal with all the locks and close cement on the Welland canal where the pilotage is 26 miles port to port. San Fran Bar Pilots Assoc. have it made with a transit of 13 miles before handing off to the Sacramento River pilots. While the Welland has a length and beam restriction of 740 ft and 78 ft a large portion of the Clinker / iron ore carriers & grain carriers on the upper Great Lakes surpass anything going up Tybee roads with the exception of the super Panamax vessels that are just now starting to berth in the states now that the second set of locks in Panama have been operational. Oh, BTW, the salary quoted for the Welland pilots is the Canadian Loonie so that would be .77 on the dollar...
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are you kidding me? Tybee roads incredibly more difficult to pilot than the Welland. (I have done both several times, in yachts). Tybee roads you have several tight turns, a major city to go through with yachts docked right along the side at several marina's, you have to go way past your intended berth to turn the ship around because there is only one spot on the Savannah river you can.

On the Welland you're not going any further considering the turning around. No current to deal with, totally straight shot, the ship slides into the chute of the lock with a 1' to spare in the lock and you just rub the sides, and now with the automatic holders, just have to make sure you stop and aren't going too fast.

As for the Canadian dollar, yeah the lock is in Canada. A Canadian $1 in Canada buys you about the same as U.S. dollar in the U.S., the exchange rate is meaningless.

Close to $60k pilotage fee to go through the Welland on a foriegn flagged 200' yacht is a pretty steep price to pay (one way). Of which it's Captain could EASILY run it through there himself, It's not really cheap for a 550' freighter either.

In your mind what should a pilot make per year? They don't travel, they work their scheduled shift. It certaintly isn't the life of a freighter Captain, a bit more skilled yes.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The $60k isn't for just doing the Welland.
  10. olderboater

This isn't a whole lot different than Alaska. Now in Alaska a foreign pleasure craft between 65' and 175', not carrying passengers for hire, can apply for an exemption.
  11. olderboater

As to Great Lakes Pilots, the targeted annual compensation is $326,114. As of the document I'm reading there were 37 registered working pilots and 11 applicants. There are 126 vessels impacted annually. The average cost per vessel over a years time is about $138,000. I see now that information in Rodger's first, older post.

For all you ever wanted to know plus some, here is a link to the Federal Registry.

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...annual-review-and-changes-to-methodology#t-26

Hourly rates are:

St. Lawrence $580
    Lake Ontario $398
    Lake Erie $448
    Southeast Shoal to Port Huron $684
    Lake Huron, Michigan, and Superior $264
    St. Mary's River $528

The $400k stated in the article would be about 1,000 hours.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  12. olderboater

You think that's high, well obviously the market says otherwise as they are having a difficult time maintaining enough pilots at that rate.
  13. olderboater

Panama Canal pilots earn as much as $450k per year. San Francisco Bar Pilots earn more than that. Nationally harbor pilots average around $400k. Mississippi River Pilots between New Orleans and Baton Rouge earn about $400k. Savannah and Charleston pilots earn between $460k and $560k.

I'd just say before we criticize pay we need to fully understand the demands and risks of the jobs and the limited number of people available. Those jobs are open to anyone who wants to become qualified and apply. In fact there's a general shortage of pilots.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The last time that Port Everglades Pilots placed tenders for hiring two pilots they had over 250 applicants and out of that 250 , 194 were qualified and licensed for the position. Port of Lake Worth / Palm Beach wasn't much different five yrs ago when they advertised two openings. There a lot of nepotism and favoritism in the large associations as theses are plumb assignments.
  15. olderboater

"Qualified and licensed" can have many different interpretations. I've run ads before and gotten 100+ resumes of persons "qualified and licensed" but only one candidate who I considered qualified. Now, I know nothing about the situation you describe. I know in many places they are having a hard time finding qualified candidates. I don't even have to think of the piloting to know it wouldn't be for me, just climbing the ladder scares me. I don't like ladders and especially extremely tall ones on the side of ships. lol

As to nepotism and favoritism, I have no doubt there is considerable as there often is in such associations. That sort of set up just opens itself up to the potential of abuse.
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Don't ever confuse a maximum restricted 1,600 domestic 3,000 ITC master yacht jockey for a Master unlimited Oceans that came from a 4yr Maritime Academy with a B.S. in Marine Transportation that has been master in charge of such vessels.
    3,000 ton ITC wouldn't make the grade for any pilots association.
  17. olderboater

I didn't confuse anything. You're the one who pointed out the number of applicants. I am saying that when you say "Qualified and licensed" that could mean a lot of things and something different in your mind or mine than what it means to the hiring authority. I'm fully aware of the variations in qualifications. I have engineers with 4 yr maritime academy B. S. plus Masters and experience in both the commercial world and the yachting world. More credentials than most will ever have.
  18. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Your truly blessed with an obvious amount of free time on your hands.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Both Palm Beach and Port Everglades, for decades you pretty much had to be family to get hired. The Son of a current Pilot, etc. etc. Well the other thing aside from qualified and licensed, is you need to be physically fit enough to get on and off of the freighters from the little pilot boat in rough weather in those 2 ports.
  20. olderboater

Yes, I am.