Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Kenyon Silken Grill: IBEX Innovation Award Winner

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JWY, Oct 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Since this is an equipment part, it might best belong under the Technical Forum, but since stoves and grills are a significant part of any boat, I thought this new invention might be of interest to the general readership. I leave it to the Mods.

While this grill lid won the IBEX Innovation Award for Furnishings and Interior Parts, it was considered for other categories such as Safety and Deck Equipment. Bottom line is that this cooking grill is a winner whether in the galley, aft deck, or flybridge. So how can a grill lid be such a big deal? Firstly, it fits on the Kenyon All Seasons Grill series. The grill itself has won the Innovation Award in the past due to its ability to maintain a 600 degree temperature, vaporize the grease, and produces even grilling without smoke or flame thus negating the need to rotate food nor check the battery in the smoke alarm. The lifetime guarantee on the stainless steel is a nice feature too. So what could make the grill any better? A safe, easy to clean stowable lid.

This patent pending lid obtains its insulation and fast and even heating qualities from high temperature silicone technology. Are you familiar with the “new” silicone kitchen gadgets for baking and cooking? Their success is because they are easy to clean, sturdy, and maintain even heat. In addition to the aforementioned attributes, this grill lid offers the safety feature of being cool on the outside. Who hasn’t accidentally touched a hot grill lid? How about on a moving platform like a boat? That’s a major safety improvement. And it’s stowable too. The space saving feature of a typically bulky lid that can be collapsed to a height of only 2 inches is significant in the galley, but also for the flybridge or aft deck installations where the boat has a countertop cover that can hinge over the grill area to provide an additional working surface when the grill is not in use. Easily removed, the lid, when collapsed, can also be used as a service tray. As much as I would like to emphasize the safety, even heat distribution, weight saving, small footprint, stowable features of the lid, the idea of cleaning a grill lid with a paper towel is especially appetizing ;-)

Judy Wadman

Attached Files:

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I had my first Kenyon grill many years ago for the kitchen, not a boat. Loved it when there was a storm or snow outside and I could grill indoors. Always been impressed by the quality of their products. We found out too that when it comes to electric grills, those designed for boats, like Kenyon and Gaggenau are far superior to those designed for homes such as Jenn Air or Foreman or any of the other dozen I tried. We have electric grills on our boats on multiple decks and continue to be happy with them. But this does sound like a great step forward.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not convinced about Kenyon... I installed one about a year and a half ago on th boat I run and we could never get it to stay hot enough long enough. After only a couple of month the electronic touch control started failing randomly, apparently because the black touch glass couldn't handle the heat of direct sunlight. A replacement control board failed too so eventually kenyon replaced it with a manual knob version. It s ok, but still not as hot as the previous grill we had.

That said, kenyon customer service is excellent and the metal work is excellent. It s also significant cheaper than gaggenau...
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, I once had one that just wasn't right and they immediately replaced it.
  5. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I know this isn't going to be answered...but since you've been through the mill with electric stoves, did you have any experience with the Electri Chef/ Electra Chef grills?