Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Just Pulled In: Coal Harbor Marina - Part II

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by OutMyWindow, Aug 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Attached Files:

2. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Thanks for the ID Brian that’s one tough trawler. (Nice model)
    Just over a decade ago I was at the Sydney Boat show and almost bought a refurbished steel boat. If I remember correctly, the salesman said that it was G. Marshall’s personal yacht at that time (not 100% sure on that one).

The new Platinum Yacht is pretty impressive, supposedly it’s already totally booked for this year.
  3. OutMyWindow

Bunch of Yachts and Small CruiseShips...

Attached Files:

4. boat4life

boat4life New Member

I guess with the economy we're going to be seeing more of these?
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I guess with the economy we're going to be seeing more of these?"

If you mean the pocket cruise boats I don't think so. They already cost 2 to 5 times as much as the mass market ships but don't offer the kind of mall experience the cruise crowd likes. They appeal to those who would like to get away from the crowds but they don't even come close to providing what a yacht or small boat charter offers in SE Alaska or the inside, not even comparable. I bet that Cruise West will be offering some big discounts this season.
  6. OutMyWindow

They are trying to reach a different demographic with a focus on Eco tourism, as opposed to the Big Cruiseships that mimic a floating Vegas Hotel with a mile long buffet.
    Another advantage is that they can access inlets and fjords that the Big ships can’t.
    Not as much fun as a personal Yacht with a: trailing Salmon line, a couple of crab traps, beach hibachi, and a bunch of kayaks strapped on deck, but a step closer never the less.

About Cruise West
    (Story from Cruise Critic)
    (Photo’s by Dave Dean)

When the West family, the founders and owners of Cruise West, began offering unique and personal travel experiences in Alaska more than 61 years ago, a philosophy commenced that remains true to this day: provide up-close travel that focuses on the destination -- its scenery, wildlife, natural history and culture -- all in the company of limited numbers of like-minded travellers. The company expanded from land tours to its first Alaska ocean cruise offering in 1958, originating the passenger cruise market in the 49th state.

Move forward 50 years and Cruise West is the largest small-ship player in Alaska, and in a growth mode with the acquisition in 2006 of Clipper Cruise Line's Yorktown Clipper (renamed Spirit of Yorktown) and Nantucket Clipper (renamed Spirit of Nantucket, and then renamed again Spirit of Glacier Bay). In 2008 the line will have eight ships in Alaska for the summer season -- the ninth Cruise West ship, Pacific Explorer, stays in Costa Rica.

The ships are mostly American-flagged and American-crewed, except Spirit of Oceanus, which is flagged in the Bahamas and has an international crew. Pacific Explorer is flagged in Costa Rica and has a Costa Rican crew. The U.S.-flag status allows Cruise West to operate unique routes within American waters that most other cruise lines cannot. While magnificent sweeping views are certainly abundant in every one of Cruise West's destinations, it's the glory of the details -- as viewed from the shallow-draft vessels -- that provide the most rewarding memories. See an eagle in a tree on a tiny rocky islet, or the barnacles on a humpback's fin

Attached Files:

7. OutMyWindow

Well, the Camera sits on top of the windowsill and any one of my family members that sees something of interest OutTheWindow is encouraged to take a photo.
    It seems that some find everything interesting and put me to task as far as posting their captures on YF.
    I personally account for about 20% of all the photos taken, so here are some more boats.
    * I will be changing the rules for photo criteria (boat size) at the next family meeting.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      107.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      131.9 KB
      Views:
    • blue heron.jpg
      blue heron.jpg
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
  8. OutMyWindow

Random observations...

Attached Files:

9. Brian

Brian Senior Member

I assume you saw the beluga at the aquarium...or is this a new invasive species??!?;)
  10. OutMyWindow

Just trying to get people with the program:

1 – click on a Yacht sponsor
    2 – buy a Yacht
    3 – hire a Captain and Crew through YF personals
    4 – sail up to Canada
    5 – see Vancouver and lots of wildlife
    6 – leave lots of money behind
    7 – sail in front of my place for a picture
    8 – frequent the Forum and tell us all about it
    9 – get Brian to build you a model of your Yacht

Tell your friends & have them repeat steps1 through 9 :p
  11. Brian

Brian Senior Member

I like your stimulus package!!:)
  12. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Im trying to follow your instructions but on step #2 I got stuck at 20':rolleyes: I have done 4-6 though and I absolutely loved it up there, thanks for sharing all the pictures especially the one I like to call "game over" (last pic in post #339:D
    Dan
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D
  14. OutMyWindow

Out & About ...

Attached Files:

15. OutMyWindow

A couple of SonShips, and Tugs showing off.

Attached Files:

16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Tugs showing off.... Isn't that akin to the scene of the hippos dancing in Disney's Fantasia? Both using the same sound track?
  17. nilo

nilo Senior Member

U.N. stands for Uluslararasi Nakliyeciler meaning International Transporters in Turkish. Company was established by truck transporters association of Turkey, who are involved in International Trucking. Their initial impulse was to have a short cut to the war affected zone during the war in the Balkans. They have grown into one of the major ro-ro operators in Europe and during the course of last year have sold the venture to an equity fund at a premium price.
  18. OutMyWindow

Not very graceful is it, Tugs have no business doing anything other than pulling or pushing.
    They were part of the opening ceremonies of the new 1.1 Million S.F. waterfront convention centre, along with their good time buddy Mr. Fireboat.

Attached Files:

19. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Tugs might not be overly graceful looking but that does not mean they are not graceful in movement. Those two tugs there in the above pics certainly are in my opinion. Tugs push and pull basically and put out waterfront fires etc but tractor voith drive works wonders:)
  20. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Didn't intend to be mean to the tugs. It was just the first image that popped in to my mind. The Hippos were quite graceful as well.:)

Right about now I'd be about ready to trade my left one for a few hours out on the water in a scow. Been too busy, too cold or any of a dozen other idiot excuses that have kept me on the dry......