Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Perko

JT Detroit 6v92's for a 46' POST

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by POST 46 Brian, Jun 10, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. POST 46 Brian

POST 46 Brian New Member

I am currently in the process of purchasing a 46' POST with JT 6v92's (550hp) and Allison Tranny's and I'm starting to have growing concerns about the motors and Tranny's.
    The motors have 1850 original hours, never been remaned. Motors and boat are 1988. On face value of this particular boat, 1) Extremely clean, current Owner is 82 years of age and says he ran the boat at 1800 RPM cruise, boat never fished (never had out riggers), ....... I am very interested in the boat, ........BUT, I am learning that the Allison Tranny's were problematic, and a reman is likely right around the corner. I will be having the motors surveyed but I'm looking for some first hand knowledge of the characteristic flaws of the motor and tranny? What should a rebuild cost per side? At what point do you rebuild, after the fact of the motor dying or are there signals leading up to, that suggest rebuild?
    Is the rebuilt common for the 692's? Are parts readily available? Likewise for Tranny?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most people rebuild either when 1 engine fails, or when they show signs of a lot of wear, like smoking out the entire marina on startup. I haven't had a lot of issues with Allison's.....but not sure on how robust they are. I'd cruise the engines at 1900-1950rpms and don't believe you're doing them any favors at 1800rpms. Parts are readily available for the DD's. Make sure they turn up to proper WOT rpm's. A simple call to a DD allison dealer will give you the answers you're looking for on parts and longevity. I'd recommend giving J+T a call and asking the questions you have asked here.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The best possible way to determine the current health and estimate remaining engine life is to hire an experienced, professional and reputable engine surveyor. It will be money well spent.

Cold start and load/no load WOT and temp gauge are a good start.

I think the bore scope on a DD is a MUST for a pre-purchase.
    Not just the liners but a clean(ish) airbox tells a lot too.

The 6-92 has wet liners, so I would pay special attention to the coolant to ensure that the proper coolant is being used and changed at the recommended intervals.
  4. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Brian,

Looks like you are in CT?

If the boat you are looking at is also in or aroud CT, Try Perfomance Diesel out of Branford or East Coast Diesel out of West Haven.
  5. shawn

shawn New Member

RT 46 is right spend the money and get the right guy to do compression on the cylinders. They will able to look at the cross hatching as well. 46 Posts with the 92s fly but thrusty.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, get a good engine surveyor as well. But it says the OP is going to get an engine surveyor and just wants general knowledge.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Get the serial numbers. Take them to a better DD shop. They give you the factory build info.
    They can also have a factory part manual printed for you.
    Usually, the DD factory build is intact when they build the boat around them.
  8. POST 46 Brian

POST 46 Brian New Member

Thanks for the responses, and yes, Performance is performing survey, my real question was, doors the 692s have characteristic flaws, ie: like how the 671TIBs are known to have the turbos blow up if continually pushed too hard.
    Is the 692 a problematic motor? Is the life span before rebuild a 2500hr or 5000hr motor? Is the Allison tranny problematic?
    As I stated in original post, this particular 46' POST is very clean on appearance and is owned by 82 year old gent that cruises it on the light side.
    But as we all know, the value of any boat starts with the engines.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

671s blow up turbos? hummmm.

It may save time searching up past threads on 92s.
    92's are not forgiving. Any short maintenance or small issue will be the fuse for a large event.
    Never let a 92 get hot.
    Always fresh and proper coolant.
    Block heaters in the cold.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 6v92's are a lot more forgiving than their big brothers. I had an owner start and run one without oil till it shut down (cold start up). The oil drain hose had blown. It continued to run for the last 5 years after that and is still running.

But I agree coolant changes are critical and they are not forgiving to an overheat and such.

I've never heard of turbo's "blowing up" on any D.D.
  11. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Checkout Boatdiesel.com also, for only $ 25,- you can get a lot of info!
  12. POST 46 Brian

POST 46 Brian New Member

Thanks again for the responses, with regard to the 671TIBs, it was my understanding that the turbos run hot when pushed hard and the potential was there pieces break off and find there way into after cooler and into cylinders? That was DD trying to get too much HP out of a 71ci cylinder.
    Perhaps I misunderstood?
    None the less, on the 692s, so managing the coolant and temp. is a priority #1, thanks.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Possible bad info to you. 71s are the most forgiving DD.
    As any MFGs engine could have a problem like this, I don't recall any stories like this before pertaining to the 671TIB.
    TIBs usually have a wet turbo (cooled by engine coolant) and hold a steady operating temperature. There is a nice flow of oil to it also.
    A faulty turbo would not make power and a symptom would be obvious long before anything came apart.
    Micro dust and air are the only dry things going thru a 71 inter-cooler. Damaging the inter-cooler and water then leaking in to the air box could be a problem if not dealt with quickly.

If you couldn't tell already, there are some 71 luvers in here.

71s rule..

,rc
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  14. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

Regarding the Allison transmissions, they are a gear originally designed and manufactured for around the clock, commercial service and are as tough as nails. Their service history is literally unparalleled in terms of commercial and recreational service reliability and longevity. That said, any machine twenty-seven years old can have issues, but Allison gears are not intrinsically sensitive to them. Plenty of Allison gears are still in commercial and recreational service, plenty of service parts and support for them, if needed. In a recreational application they will never wear out from hours of service, however elastomeric parts such as seals do age chronologically in any gearbox.

Regarding the 6V-92 engines, @ 1,800-1,900 RPM they will serve well. As with all marine engine, from outboards to diesel inboards, internal corrosion of a microscopic nature occurs in the cylinder bores during periods of non usage, which is literally 99 percent of the time with recreational boats. This is a chronological time issue, not a running hours issue. The same is true of exhaust valves and seats. These problems affect all brands of recreational marine diesel engines with wet exhaust systems, and a twenty-seven year old engine of any brand will be affected accordingly.

The principal question you must ask yourself is, "Do I want any twenty-seven year old boat?" If the answer is yes, the combination of 6V-92 and an Allison gear is as good as any put in a recreational boat of 46 feet.

Ron Sparks
  15. POST 46 Brian

POST 46 Brian New Member

As a follow up, I sea trialed the vessel with my mechanic Jimmy Mango "Performance Diesel" and although everything checked out at the dock, when under full load, the Port motor revealed either a blown head gasket or more likely a cracked head. When the heads were removed, severe pitting to heads and cylinders 2ea. was revealed.
    This was something that was long existing, and a lack of use and low rpm use when used had never revealed. It was clear the motor ran very hot at one time in its life.
    Thank you Jim Mango, Performance Diesel!
  16. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I used Jim for my rebuilds. He is great!! Years of trouble free running since.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ron
    Your comments @ #14 was very well said.
    ,rc
  18. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

Hello Brian: Good to know the existing problems were identified in a timely manner, prior to purchase. If you go ahead with a purchase of the boat, the repaired engine as well as the gears should serve you well.

Ron Sparks
  19. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

Hello rcrapps: Thank you for your comment about posting #14.
  20. AllanS

AllanS New Member

I have an 89 Post 46 with 6V92s and Allisons.

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with my Allisons. Never heard of any systemic problem with them.

I like the 6V92s because I the boat leaps out of the water when the turbos kick in at 1500rpm, and I have a lot more headroom at my normal cruise than I would have with the 71s. I'm a big believer in Jim Pascoe's position on not pushing performance diesels to the wall to get longevity. Parts are still plentiful and so are qualified guys to fix them. They are not as efficient as the 4-strokes, no getting around that.

As to the comment in #2 about not doing the engines any favors at 1800rpm, I cruise mine between 1800 and 1900 and they just feel "happier" at 1800. I also like the fact that 1800 puts me at a relatively economical place in the fuel consumption curve, and I get 18-19 kt which is usually plenty fast enough for me. I asked one of the best DD guys in the Mid-Atlantic (Jim Stitz) and he said "so long as they are at operating temperature, you're good".