Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning

I've got power!!!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Sep 7, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi all,

Power was restored in my area a couple of hours ago. I've been really living up to my last name.... Camper!

Until you loose power for a sustained period, you fail to appreciate the convenience that electricity brings to our lives. I'm just seeing television for the first time since the storm hit. I'm surprised at the level of damage from a Category 2 hurricane. Ofcourse, the fact that we spent 24 hours in the eye would probably make it equivilent to a more powerful storm.

I've got a bunch of press releases on new yachts, launches, etc. I'll upload them toward the end of the week. First, I've got to clean up the mess around here!

Carl
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Welcome back Carl!
    It has been strange to be able to use the forum without your presence, just talking through some silent servers in Fort Lauderdale...
    Good to have got some signs and pics from you yesterday anyway. I was looking at the Sun-Sentinel website through the storm period and it was really going slow. But I have not checked what is going on with Ivan out there. Hope this will be enough for this season, it must be a lot of work to get everything back to normal.
    See you soon here again!
    /Lars
  3. YachtForums

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the welcome! :) It's nice to be back.

As of today, I have a new profession. I'm no longer the publisher of an internet yachting magazine. I'm a lumberjack! Hurricanes are nature's way of pruning over grown trees. If only they would finish the job... by hauling away the debris.

It's been a day of neighbor helping neighbor. I found out I have a yacht broker living a few doors down! Turns out he lurks around YachtForums regularly. Small world!

A local West Palm Beach TV station (channel 5) has been broadcasting aerial video images of the damage and I'm REALLY surprised. They had a helicopter in the air all day. There are 1000's of homes or buildings with minor to moderate damage. It's hard to imagine... this Category 2 storm cut a swath nearly 100 miles long (along the coast) and as deep as 50 miles inland in some places. There is *some* devastation, but nothing on the scale of Hurricane Andrew of Charley. If this had been a Cat 4 or 5... I'd be looking for a new zip code!!

I saw aerial video footage of a marina, I don't know which one or where, but there were many yachts (big ones!) tossed around like toys and piled up on each other like some kind of mating ritual. The pictures I posted in the other thread are Rated G in comparison to this footage. If anybody knows where this marina is, please let me know!!!

On this note... I'm going to venture a guess on the number of docks or boats that were destroyed or damaged during this storm. I base this on my drive from West Palm Beach to Stuart AND the aerial video footage I've seen of the areas north of this region. Conservative estimates...

Docks... atleast 1000.
    Boats... atleast 500.
    A home with electricity... priceless!

Carl :)
  4. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

Well, I left Orlando around 7 PM to head back up to Gainesville since classes start tomorrow at UF. I drive up to my Apt Complex and the entire road is flooded (Old Archer Road). As I go around the long way to get in, no lights are on (so now I'm thinking this isn't so good). As I'm driving through, there are barely any cars and it's pitch black outside. Two neighbors told me the electricity has been out since Saturday :( My steaks (about 20) in the freezer are all waste now and blood is all over the bottom of the freezer.

I was going to stay at my friend's complex, but I didn't even feel like staying in the city as is. So I decided to drive back to Orlando where I currently am and I don't plan to go back up until Monday. There was no way I was going to stay without electricity (1/2 of my classes are online) so you have my respect Yachtforums. I hope everything gets better quickly for you and the people in your area. There wasn't any actual damage in my area, just flooding and power outages.
  5. YachtForums

Hey Nismo,

I heard power was knocked out all the way to west coast of northern Florida. Oldtown, to be specific. Seems like Orlando got the residual of both Charley and Frances. I know it's pretty hot in the middle of the state this time of year, but atleast it cools off inland at night. Hope your power is restored soon. :)
  6. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Carl,

Just glad you're ok. Are you guys getting ready for Ivan yet?
  7. YachtForums

Hi Brian,

I've packed my bags and I'm ready to leave. What's your address again? :D