Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for Abeking

Is this a fair price for painting?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Heather_Rae, Apr 12, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

I have a 42' Jefferson at a marina that only allows painters to do the roll and tip method of painting. I had someone come in a give me an estimate of $20,000 to paint the hull and topsides. I was really just expecting around $8000. Anyone know anything about this?
  2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I had a 42' Post painted this way. As far as pricing, the hull sides were simple and only cost $5000. because there was nothing to remove. The top sides are another issue. The only way to get a really good job is to remove all hardware within reason. This is the time consuming problem. My top sides cost an additional $15000 so I guess your estimate is right on target.
    I did get an estimate from a very well known South Florida yard for a spray job of $40,000.
    Watch out for the cheap prices. You always get what you pay for. If you get a cheap job, it will look cheap and then you will want to do it over the right way.
  3. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

Thanks CTDave! I feel so much better about giving the go-ahead on this project now. I am new to owning a boat and was not sure if this was a good price or not. THANKS BUNCHES!
  4. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

My Pleasure Heather!
    Be sure to ask for references. Look at some of his work & talk to past customers.
    David
  5. DeepBlue

DeepBlue New Member

Decent Price

Yep $20k is right on target. Excellent point was raised in regards to references.
  6. DyD

DyD New Member

we had a 99' hull painted for about $40,000. But we are volume buyer, so that number sounds about right
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Perhaps too late for Heather, but...

I would concur with the others based on my experience.

The client had a 63 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer (that's an 18-foot beam, kids) that was nice other than having the original 20 year-old gel coat.
    Another broker pal suggested a local painter and vouched for his work. The owner of the boat, a cheap sort (Duh!) helped with the prep; they removed no deck hardware but did do a careful taping off and sanding of everything from the toerail on up.
    By the way, this took place in a canal off the New River over a couple of weeks during the summer...why no one called the cops is still a mystery to me.

Anyway, the job cost a bit over ten grand--- lead painter (the tipper), two helpers (the rollers), and Mr. Cheapo who did not wield a brush.

Maybe it was Tom Fexas who came up with the so-called "Six Foot Rule", I don't remember, but from less than that distance, the resultant finish could have been that of an excellent Tung Loo spraypainting.

One last note-- when poking around the docks, and you come across a gorgeous newly-painted boat, look very carefully (the "Six Inch Rule"?) and you might just see the faintest brushstroke left from a real pro.
  8. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

Hi everyone!

Well, we have gotten the boat back in our canal now, and I have to say that we were EXTREMELY disappointed with the job. The stripe that was painted above the bottom paint was wavy. The painter did not complete the job, because she ran out of paint. She was supposed to show up at our home today to complete the work, and she did not show. She has been paid in full. The hardware was not screwed back in, and she got paint on the rails, canvases, and teak trim. The windows are leaking because she dug out the caulk and didn't put it back. There was an extreme mess all over the interior, even though she wasnt hired to do the inside. She kept unplugging power to our batteries to plug in her radio. All 3 batteries were zapped, and we had to replace them all. Someone urinated in our galley sink! When we told her that we were disappointed because she had gotten paint on the teak that we had just previously gotten refinished, her response was, "well, that was stupid of you." The owner of the marina and all the help were drunk every time we went to go look at our boat. I have never seen anything like it! If anyone is in the Ellenton/Bradenton area and they want to know who not to use, drop me a line, and I will fill you in.

$20,000 later and we are still working to fix stuff they messed up.
  9. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

florida

Sounds normal for Florida

So sorry to hear about your problems, if anyone in Ft Lauderdale wants to know who not to use contact me also.

Chris
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

What a shame. Hope that initial contract specifies avenues of recourse for you and that this all gets straightened out to your satisfaction.