Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Is Post in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by midocean, Apr 3, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sigarn

sigarn Member

I am probably biased because I own a 53, but in my opinion its pretty hard to beat the design, look, and construction either of these boats. Both the 53 ands 56 are extremely well built production boats. I have been extremely happy with mine and had almost zero issues.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I loved the 53 from the first day it came out. just took me a little longer with the 56. I've had my 50 since 2000 and except for the gelcoat issue have enjoyed every minute aboard!
  3. Captain Kids

Captain Kids New Member

I have read a bunch of posts on this site recently regarding Post Yachts - particularly the 56. I thought I would share my recent experience.

I had a Post 50 for 21 years that I bought new in 1995 - took delivery in 1996. I loved that boat, loved the MAN 10 cylinder 820 hp motors, and I kept the boat in great condition. I sold it last year and bought a 2004 Post 56 - the last one they made - and the only one without the infamous gel coat problem, so no problem there. It has the MAN 1300 hp motors. I ran the boat for the past 6 months. The boat is everything I loved about the 50, times two. Its fast, runs very well (can be wet at times), fuel efficient, rock solid, and it feels about 12 feet longer than the 50 ever did. It is just bigger and more solid feeling everywhere you look - especially the engine room. I know the boat isn't new, but it is 9 years newer than my 50 so I enjoy all of the improvements they made over that time. I think Post was a little old school but the competition with Viking helped them step up their game with some nice improvements. I see a lot of the newer boats have migrated to a "European" modern look, which I don't care for. I am a fan of an interior with lots of wood, and other traditional touches - and the 56 interior is beautiful. Anyway, from my point of view, I love the Post 56 and the move from a 50 to the 56 was a great move for me.

Lastly, I saw some info about the number of Post 56s made. As far as I know, they only made 7 of them, and mine is hull number 7.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

This post is the best advertisement for POST.
    There seems to be a lot of happy Post owners. So far, I have not met an unhappy Post owner.
    I have a 46 Post and the only thing I don't like is that it is not a 50 Post.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've met several unhappy Post owners because they can't buy a new bigger one. hehehe
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Ditto.

A 50 passed me a couple weeks ago in the opposite direction.
    Straight and true, looked fantastic and was really moving.
    Nice boat.
  7. ewibberley

ewibberley New Member

I bought a 2005 53 earlier this year and have been very happy. Boat construction seems very solid. I don't have curtains yet and the ride is a little wet. My only problems have been electrical. Water is getting inside the helm and there is a lot of corrosion on the wire and switch connections that I will have to repair.
  8. sigarn

sigarn Member

There are not many boats out there with the exception of the Carolina boats that are not wet at times. Anytime you get a bow quartering wind in heavy seas water is going to spray. Curtains are a must. I put Polycarbonate on the large front fold up panel and acrylic wrapped around until you get to the 2 side panels in Strato Glass that fold up, and its very nice. The nice thing about the electrical issue is access is pretty good as long as you are not too big. The 53 is a first class boat in my opinion.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Water is getting inside the molded helm, or up in the bridge area? My molded helm station is dry as a bone - a 50. Curtains are a must IMO
  10. ewibberley

ewibberley New Member

The water is getting in the inside of the molded helm. If you crawl in there and shut the access door you can see light in several areas. It is probably sucking in the salt spray. I am in the process of cleaning everything up and sealing it.
  11. sigarn

sigarn Member

Enclosure is a "MUST" for sure. Water will find its way in if you don't have one.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

A full enclosure will do a world of good for your problem IMO. Your bridge and instruments must be covered with salt spray after a good run? That's all getting into the enclosed spaces too.