Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Interior lighting, large vessels, Light pipes

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Codger, Oct 2, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

AMG

"I guess that the volume of a 170 m compared to this 90 m is tripled! You will have problems getting daylight to the center of the floors, this is why the Rising Sun has these huge windows and a rather slim beam for a 138 m yacht of just 18 m."

We have utilised light pipes, both reflective and fibre optic, in two buildings. I'm not aware of marine applications in use. I prefer daylight over electric light, even when the colour temprature of the artificial light source is supposed to mimic daylight.
    Has this technology been used in yachts?
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

In older vessels it was common to see deck prizums used, but I have not seen one on a modern yacht. I do believe that they are as rare as hens teeth these days but they did work really well.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Codger - got any photos of those light pipe installations you can post?

curious Kelly
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Kelly
    Ceilings are sealed so nothing to show. The fixtures just look like lensed pot lights except that there is no bulb in there. I believe that 3M provided the fibre ones. I'll have to check back on who supplied the reflective pipes. Outside the building they look like portholes which is what triggered the question in the first place.
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Ok. I would have expected the fiber optic bundles to be small diameter. Which would lend itself to something like an ordinary light fixture. But the reflective light pipes are also small diameter?

Kelly
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The reflective light pipes are thinwall. O.D. about 14-16cm. I think that there are larger ones as well. There are a few on both the East and west walls that get sunlight in to the opposite side of the building. The east wall pipes actually outlet to the west interior of the building so that there is morning sun in the part of the building that doesn't get direct morning sun. Fibre receivers on the roof get light in to the lower levels.