Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

Interested in buying Deep Blue ii, '96 Oceanco yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by l jakes, Mar 6, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. l jakes

l jakes New Member

Folks, would love some feedback. I am looking to spend in the 6-10 million USD range. Really like the older Oceanco 144 foot Deep Blue. She has had some nice refits and I really like interior look--plus always respected the name Oceanco. However, when I started my intense search, I never thought I would put her up near the top, as she is so old. My backup plan might be one of the 2005-2009 Heesen 3700 series...maybe one of the Classic Benetti 120 series.
    Can I get thoughts? It will primarily be used in Caribbean, some charter.
  2. l jakes

l jakes New Member

Let me expand a little. Is my appreciation for the Northern European yachts overwhelming my thought process ? There are several very nice Heesen 3700's in the price range along with some Benetti Classics. Having read page after page on some of your comments regarding the build quality of the Italian yards...I just wonder if sticking with an older yacht such as Deep Blue in this price range makes sense. Older and top quality build versus much newer (Benetti) versus newer, but less volume Heesen 3700. ?
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

There are a number of factors here.

Are you willing to do a refit?

Or do you want a ready to go boat?

Do you prefer a traditional style boat over a more modern look?

Do you have a solid idea on the type of layout you want? Formal, casual, number and size of staterooms, etc.?

For charter you should consider crew comfort, good working galley, storage for food and drinks, toy storage and access, equal size guest cabins, at anchor stabilization, etc.
  4. l jakes

l jakes New Member

Thanks capt bill for your response and questions. I certainly left a lot out. First off, the yacht Deep Blue has been upgraded and refit several times....she looks great on paper. I might upgrade the bar area, but other than that she doesn't need a refit. I have not done any formal inquiries yet, so I don't know about the mechanicals, engine hours etc.Lets just suume for argument sake that she is in really good
    shape.

I guess I was just trying to stay in a big picture mode by asking the general question" Having great respect for the northern Euro builders, is buying an Oceanco yacht built in 96 in aluminum a smart play versus buying one that is 10+ years newer?" If you were to pull up Deep Blue on the internet, you will see it has a really well done modern interior and was the 96 MY of the Year .Great layout etc.

I would ask that you look at the yacht in question. Yes, its casual,which I like --but so are the majority of the Heesen 3700's .Lets not get into worrying about style, crew space. Lets focus on comparing a '96 Oceanco with a '06 Heesen or '06-08 Benetti. Not in terms of style, but in terms of age and price, considering all are in the 8-10 mil range. Is the age difference worth buying an Oceanco versus the Benetti or even the Heesen that is 10 years newer? I realize its a tough thing to discuss, but lets hear some feedback please.
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Jakes, sent you a PM