Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Interactive ocean/coastal maps

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Wilson, Feb 23, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Hey folks,

I’ve spent about a week now looking online interactive maps dedicated to sailing and have come across a total of zero. :confused:

Is there anything out there that you folks might know of?

Something that I can type in multiple longitude and latitude coordinates and have it plot a course and give distance would be ideal. Or something where I can put in a bunch of coordinates and have it plot a line between them. But if one does even half of that it would be nice.

Also are there any pacific coast (North and South America) boating maps available?

Thanks in advance.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is what I have used plotters for since twenty years, so you must have got something wrong? Or I did not understand your question? :eek:
  3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

:)

I don't have a plotter or any charts, or even a yacht. Actually i'm just starting.

So I was hoping there was an interactive one on the internet that I could play with. Kind of figure out distance, time, etc.. for the day when I do get one of these beautiful yachts..
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Aha, now I see what you are looking for :)

By typing in PC-PLOTTER DEMO at Google.com, I came across several sites where you can download or order a demo on CD. The first on the list was this;
    http://www.pcplotter.com/downloads.html

Have fun out there! ;)
  5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Thanks, the program seems to crash alot but now I know what to search for and found something called Nobeltec.

Looks like the trips i want to take are around 2900 NM (one way). So I'm going to look into the trawler types..

Any recommendations?

I like the idea of keeping one boat at each location but the costs seem pretty high.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you like to start with a used trawler in a bigger size, I think the Hatteras fibreglass Long Range Cruisers are good value for money. I don´t remember what sizes they came in, but from 55 to 65 feet I guess.
    There are many producers of trawlers and explorer-like vessels in small sizes today, which can be nice live aboard boats if you want to try that route instead of buying a place down there.
    I think you should buy magazines like Passage Maker and learn the pros and cons of the different boats, building materials and issues like single or twin engines.
    Or you just buy a nice smaller boat, maybe of the lobster type, and get your own experience to start with? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  7. Wilson

Wilson New Member

I'll check into the Hatteras, thanks.

Just a bit dissapointed since most of the trawlers i've seen just aren't really sexy or fast :(

I almost feel like I'm purchasing a RV :D
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

No, they are not fast, that is why I suggest Lobster style boats, like Sabreline, Alden, Eastbay and there are many today. They cruise just above twenty knots, but the range is more limited. If you buy one of their smaller, they have a very good resale value and you can trade up if you want later. And in my eyes they are much sexier than any of the flybridge cruisers from the big companies...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  9. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Yeah the Alden's are nice looking.. I just wish their fuel tanks were a bit bigger..

I need to go to the next boat show to see these guys..

Thanks for the help AMG.