Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Westport

Independent Chinese Yacht Builders

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YotDoc, Mar 4, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YotDoc

YotDoc New Member

I am looking for an independent yard in china to build an expedition hybird 85ft. in length. I have hopes of constructing subsequent vessels if the market will allow. Does anyone have any suggestions or contacts.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
    Yotdoc......Steve
  2. leonidas

leonidas New Member

The name : Kingship Yachts springs into mind. But judging from a report posted in the internet they do not appear to be up to the task. I suggest you contatt Vinashin Shipyard in Vietnam instead.
  3. myastral

myastral Guest

Ni Hao

There are allot of great yards in China and Taiwan so it should be no problem finding a yard for Your project. I havent done any work with Kinfship yet but thet seem to have a good idea, I belive there set to launch there first 80 soon.Im alsways happy to work with anyone building yachts in Taiwan or China, I think both offer a great option in Yacht building.
  4. Motoryacht

Motoryacht Member

I have plans to build a 150' and I've been shopping yards for a few months. I thought about going to Taiwan or China, but the language barrier can be such a hurdle. A project like this requires excellent communications and attention to detail. It also requires experience. I think the fellow that posted above, confirms my concern. Literacy is a prerequisite.
  5. tartanski

tartanski Member

http://www.yantai-raffles.com/

I have experience with this yard, and although they generally build larger steel vessels, and the order book may be full, I know they take pride in communication with their clients. The main owning partner is Brain Chang, Singaporean businessman, so English is the first language.

http://www.yantai-raffles.com/
  6. YotDoc

YotDoc New Member

Thanks to all of you for the feedback on this so far. I have been building luxury yachts here in the Pacifac Northwest for over 25 years. At one point this area was producing some exceptionally fine luxury yachts......and still continues to do so. We had one of the highest lineal foot counts for new builds.....but those days seem to be evaporating right in front of my eyes.

Anyways my gut tells me if I still want to play an integral role in this industry, offshore opportunity seems to be the strongest direction my compass is pointing in. I am going to be in Hong Kong at the end of March to continue with my own feasibility study on this topic. And will closely monitor and add to this thread as more comes to light.

Again thanks

Yotdoc.....Steve
  7. myastral

myastral Guest

I live and work in Taiwan and have a few projects in China and like anything the results can be mixed, like Taiwan there have been builders and dealers that have done fantastic and many more have fallen to the side of the road I would expect the same will hold true of China.

I would point out some of the areas were buyers have made mistakes.

1, most of the better dealers send over allot of the parts needed to build the yacht, I know of one that even sends adhesives, this is the result of 2 issues Tax and cost, often times You can get it cheaper in the USA even with the shipping cost and if the part is not to remain in Taiwan there is no tax.

2, most builders ship over the bulk of the wood veneers used on their project.

3 Common parts like washer and dryers are shipped over or installed in the USA.

4 Even thought Engine dealers attend the start up in China it still needs to be redone in the USA for warranty.

5, In both China and Taiwan they have no history in boating so many times part are installed wrong I found a set of filters under a generator we had to remove the generator to replace the filter.

6, Fit and finish

I could go on for hours on the benefits and pitfalls of building in China and Taiwan.
  8. leonidas

leonidas New Member

Your experience matches the article that appeared in the New York Times regarding Kingship Marine Shipyard and building yachts in China. You'll spot the article if you do a search "kingship marine"
  9. myastral

myastral Guest

China

I hope to go on the new kingship soon to take a look, sorry but I dont think the forum will allow Me to report any findings
  10. CNRocks

CNRocks New Member

Report Findings

I don't understand -- why can't you report the findings -- what's the forum policy you are referring to? Thanks.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think Carl would be happy to have forum members contribute more. However, the only thing not accepted as far as I know is baseless bashing of a yacht or company. If someone posts "XYZ yachts suck!" with nothing to qualify that opinion, the post won't last very long.
  12. CNRocks

CNRocks New Member

Facts Trump Opinion Everytime

Couldn't agree more Kevin -- facts are what we want, good or bad. Like Hemmingway I distrust adjectives. Don't want this to be a ranting bash board (as much fun as they might be), but at the same time don't want members to hold back on the hard-hitting facts, criticques and inside skinny that really inform the group even if the findings or facts are tough. I don't think anything on topic and truthful (or opinions based on disclosed facts so the reader can make up his or her mind) is or should be off limits, even for instance if it gives constructive criticism to .. say even a sponsor. "Never is heard a discouraging word" is great for the range but not necessarily where we are trying to cut through the chaff for the wheat in a complex area often laden with marketing spin. So let's learn all we can on our favorite subjects --- and lay it out (responsibly of course) if it's on topic ... we're all big boys and girls right ... Cheers.
  13. leonidas

leonidas New Member

Kingship Marine

It will be most helpful to have a first hand view. So far all I know is what has been reported that Chinese steel mills though they produce shipbuilding steel plates, of various thicknesses, they do not roll yet plates of suitable specification which are thin enough for the yachts hulls . I underdstand that steel plates which have been precut and shaped are shipped in from Europe to be assebled at the yard. Quite a logistic exercise.
  14. daiwa

daiwa New Member

Chinese Market / Chinise Builders,

Found this article and thought could be interesting. Gives a decent hint as Merrill Lynch put it out, but one million is not millionaire yet. That´s the lower than average price of condo home, I assume in any metropolitan city. Could be more intersting to find relevant news development of new chinese middle-class as are their entering to serious boating as leisure pleasure ;).

China's boat builders are turning to B.C. yacht engineers and designers in anticipation of a surging demand for luxury craft as the number of wealthy Chinese continues to soar in the world's fastest-growing economy.

Boat builders in China want to partner with B.C. engineers, since Canada is known for producing high-quality yachts, according to Maple Ridge-based Seaforth Marine Group Inc., which provides engineering and consulting for a factory outside of Shanghai.

"It's like a stamp of approval. That's the way they see it," said Dan Beebe, director of sales and marketing for Seaforth.

Yacht production is still relatively new in China, Beebe said, and manufacturers there need an internationally recognized name backing them.

With the help of Seaforth's consultants, the company's Chinese partner builds yachts between 41 feet long to 68 feet, and exports the finished products to Europe and Australia. Australia.

About 40 to 45 per cent of Seaforth's client-base is in Asia, and the company is aiming to expand its presence in China.

"The whole market is booming over there," Beebe said.

While production in China is driven by the low cost of labour, most Chinese boat builders so far only manufacture smaller leisure boats, said Vancouver-based Ivan Erdevicki, president of Ivan Erdevicki Naval Architecture and Design.

Mega-yachts, such as those larger than 70 feet, "require a really high-end finish," Erdevicki said, adding that it will take some time before Chinese builders can compete in the higher-end market.

Erdevicki said he is currently designing production-line leisure boats for two clients, who aim to build them in China.

The two models are expected to be on the market by 2007 and 2008, and Erdevicki said he would typically expect to receive royalties of at least 1.5 per cent for every boat built.

An average 50-foot yacht costs about $1.5 million U.S., and an engineer's earnings could add up if the manufacturer is able to produce multiple boats, he said.

Despite a rapidly growing yacht manufacturing industry and a proliferation of status-conscious millionaires, China does not yet have a significant domestic market for leisure boats.

Industry experts say the culture has not fully adopted the concept of yachting. But several factors are expected boost domestic demand in coming years.

China is planning several marina development projects, especially near Hong Kong and Shanghai, and the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing is also expected to fuel interest in boating sports.

There are now more than 300,000 Chinese people with a net worth of at least $1 million US (excluding property), according to Merrill Lynch & Co. After years of deprivation, the wealthy are snapping up luxury cars and brand name items at an unprecedented rate.

"The wealth [in China] is growing all the time," said Patrick Bray, president of White Rock-based Bray Yacht Design and Research.

"It's certainly an area we want to explore into more and more," he said, noting that Chinese buyers are more inclined to purchase yachts made in North America.

Although Bray is optimistic of the growth opportunities in China, he acknowledged that his company's earlier foray into country was less than successful. Plans that he developed with a Chinese manufacturer to build boats there was cancelled after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, and were never revisited.

"It gave me a better understanding," he said, reflecting on the impact the scrapped venture had on his impression of China's business climate. But, he added: "I still think China is pretty stable."
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Daiwa,

Thank you for the information. I have moved your post under this original thread.
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Kevin,

Thank you for summing up our guidelines. Well said.

I'd like to add this... useful and relavent information is always encouraged, but it's important to consider the source of the information too. As we all know, info can be skewed, distorted and manipulated... depending on the experience, bias or motivation of the person posting.

Sharing & learning and laughing & crying... is the basis of a forum. In the case of YF, it's also a portal and a magazine, however... it is NOT a place for personal promotion. For people in the biz that bring useful, relavent content to YF... an occasional plug (when applicable) is fine.

On this note... I'd like everyone to know the level of class displayed by all of the builders in this industry. The majority of them are YF members and most of them read the forum weekly... yet none of them has ever used YF to further promote themselves.

That being said... occasionally someone new stumbles across YF and sees an opportunity to promote their product or service, cleverly disguised as information, to further promote their cause. Information of this nature is subject to being removed.

Returning to my vacation now. Be back in a couple of days. Best to all!

Carl
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Have fun relaxing Carl. :)
  18. YotDoc

YotDoc New Member

Has anyone attended "Boat Tech China". It is an annual event....this year it is going to be April 3-5 just outside Hong Kong on the mainland....city called Goungzhou. It is near an economic zone designated for the luxury yacht market. The Chinese government try to cluster similiar industries together for various reasons. I am planning to attend and will provide some feedback as to it's effectiveness. www.boattechchina.com

Again thanks to all
  19. CNRocks

CNRocks New Member

I'd only add one thing -- if innaccurate, incomplete or misleading information is posted, regardless of its nature, members should quickly call the poster on the mat on the forum -- simply removing it isn't enough --- cross-examination is the crucible for truth.
  20. leonidas

leonidas New Member

News Article

Apologise being unable to attach the link but perhaps the readers may also wish to look at an article which is relevant to the ongoing discussion titled: China's ultimate luxury export, The yacht. ( www.theasf.net/forums )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.