Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Westport

In water winter storage

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jumbo, Nov 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's if you have enough battery power by the time you find out the shorepower has been lost to start it. If it will even start when it's so cold out. And, then you have to winterize it again. If you even have the conditions to drive to the marina to get to it.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

you can safely in water winter on Long Island.
    Many boats are stored in the water in Long Island, NY.
    It does take vigilance and constant checking.
    It is not fire and forget.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Changing the thread a little. I haven't, but I do know some dock mates who spray their engines with T-9 or equivalent. What are the forums thoughts?
  4. Roamer Blue

Roamer Blue New Member

Not Winterizing?

Cost benefit to skipping the use of anti-freeze on those systems harbouring water?

A few gallons of anti-freeze costs what? cracked engine block costs what?

Methods of staying warm must be proven, and not include complete reliance on shore power.

Does the generator actually start in sub arctic conditions? No, really, not theoretically?
    How soon do the batteries run down with the charger off?

Burning a fuel source without need for electric needs to be part of the arsenal. see dickinson stoves, and competitors?

In a time of winter civil emergency, including loss of power grid, snow storms, municipal snow and power equipment focused on hospital access, not marina roads... will the boat be accessible?

And where will your focus be, with the family scattered in the snow and employer demands beating a drum?

The boat needs to take care of itself, or not need care?

I support in water storage, and winter live aboard, but it has to be done with smarts and eyes WIDE open, or $$$$$$$ will fly.

RB
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I spray all metal fittings on engines and engine room with Corrossion Block (the name brand) monthly down here in South Florida. It works very well at keeping the metals looking good and not corroding.. I wouldn't spray anything on painted surfaces.