Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta

Ice Class Yachts; what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ladies choice, Sep 1, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

The Neriedes boat Thetis that interests me is a Ice Class yacht. What does that mean exactly and what does it all this yacht to do over any other without that classification?

It isn't a ice breaker correct?

Would it allow me to go up say into the wilds of Alaska, North or South pole regions that are navigable? Greenland?

How much Ice in volume of water can this yacht pass thru?

Please explain!
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Do you have a URL for this? I did an internet search on "Neriedes" and came up blank! :confused:

Kelly Cook
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Ice Class means nothing in itself. There are at least nine different classification organizations and they use 3-5 classes, where the lightest is almost no ice-going at all and the highest is like icebreakers. It has to do with many things, but mainly strength of hull, engine performance and propellers.

For icebreaking you should not really have a bulbous bow or stabilizers, but there are retractable or removable stabilizers if you know that you will need this.

If you post the ice-class on this boat, I can have a look what it corresponds to.

The Polara Explorer you see here is made with a bow that can take certain ice, but for heavier ice the stabilizers has to be removed in advance. There exist also certain ice eating propellers, screwlike but very few pleasure boats have them or the real Ice classification. Many boats have no classifications at all but are built to class nevertheless. It has mainly to do with the regular controls that has to be made to keep them in class which owners don´t care to pay for or to take the hassle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  4. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

http://www.nereidsyachts.com/

I have the specs at home will look up the class listed, perhaps it is also listed at thier website I haven't checked.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Alright, it says Class ID, which is just OK for very light ice conditions. The same as if you have no ice class really...

The most common Ice Class codes are;

IAA or IA Super for extreme ice
    IA for severe ice
    IB for average ice
    IC for light ice
    (ID) or II for very light ice

A real offshore Ice Breaker looks like this Swedish built Oden. The props are protected and they have ballast tanks to change the center of gravity to break ice by moving the bow up and down over the ice.

They are also used for scientific cruises to the polar areas in the summer. Right now they are near the North Pole together with the American icebreaker Healy.

Built at Götaverken, Sweden, launched in 1987.
    Length 107.69 m
    Beam 31.2 m
    Draught 7-8.5 m
    24.500 Hp diesels
    Bunker 4.000.000 litres!!

The steel in the bow is 56 mm, just over two inches thick...

Attached Files:

• Oden.jpg
      Oden.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

My guess would be a badly exposed pic that was subsequently badly retouched.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I agree with Kevin, a strange picture but why try to impose a rendering towards that background? Must be a photo with some afterjob done to it...
  9. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

10. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Kelly,
    Where did you find that picture and are thier others with it? I have limited amount of photos of this yacht supplied by the listing agent, I was hoping to see more of it underway from different angles. I have a few photos of the interior now that it is done as well.
  11. hlbeckley

hlbeckley New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but it that how they lauch boats? Surely there is a more simply, less risky way. I have seen the usual, slipway mehtod, but that its just nuts.
  12. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

13. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Thetis is on the Monaco Yacht Show

Ladys Choice,

i saw the listing from Monaco yacht Show and Thetis will be there.
    If you like i will make some pictures and will visit the boat to inspect.

I will stay in Monaco from the 20 -25 of September.

If someone wants to meet please contact me via GSM: 00491711457121
    Alex
  14. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Yes I would love as many exterior and interior pictures you are able to take, I am in contact with both the captain and owner of Thetis, I am expecting a CD of photo's any day now but of course new ones are always appreciated! Thanks!

I am also curious to see it in a size perspective against other yachts and as much of the exterior decking/layout etc..

Will it be difficult for you to gain access? Perhaps I should ask the captain/owner to allow you in for my behalf of photos? Would you be interested in doing that? SO that I can get pictures of the galley, engine room, crew's quarters and of course the main areas and cabins as well. Having not seen the CD of photo's yet I am unsure what is there or what I will be lacking if anything to see.

Let me know if you would like to meet those involved with Thetis and I can inquire on getting you access while you are there for helping me!

Many Thanks,
  15. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Thetis

Ok no Problem.
    Please advise the Captain or Owner that i will come on board to make some
    pictures for you and that my project manager is allowed to look behind the curtains
    to check the building quality.
  16. Ben

Ben Senior Member

I found your post intersting, I went back and dug this up from the PMY Octopus thread (pg 6)........

"LR Specific Particulars

LR Hull Notation : SSC (Special Service Craft), Yacht(P), mono, G6, Ice Class 1A, DP(AM) except during navigation in ice"

So Octopus apears rated for "severe ice" dispite having a bouble bow and stabilizers.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, it is not unusual that ships have a bulb and high Ice Class, but yachts in the 50 meter range will simply be too shallow and the bulb will hit the ice.

Octopus is more of a ship if you compare to other pleasure yachts...
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

This exact pic is in one of the current print mags (I'll check which when I get home tonight) and it looks a fair bit better there, not quite so washed out. The pic linked in this thread was definitely messed with on some level or another.
  19. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Would it be possible to have an ice classed yacht built out of aluminium?

Perheaps a 1B to 1A class on the scale above.

The Ol' grey matter became stimulated after reading the info on aluminium on the Trekker Yachts web site.
  20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Possibly if the boat design were such that it would ride up on the ice. Instead of plow through it. But for a deep full displacement design I would stick with steel.

Kelly