Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Hynautics Fluid

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Bearzgirl, Sep 15, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bearzgirl

Bearzgirl New Member

I've got a '88 Viking Convertible which has the Hynautics Steering, throttles and transmission controls and my question is what is the correct fluid to use in these systems. I have heard you can use ATF transmission fluid or coolant / anti freeze so is there a recommended fluid to use or are either acceptable?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  2. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I heard from someone I believe that using the wrong fluid will do damage to the seals. I'd bite the bullet and get the right stuff. ( Hynautics branded fluid)
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I woudlnt use coolant but the Hynautic literature states that ATF is fine although if may result in stiffer steering. I ve been using ATF in a power steering Hynautic system for 8 years no issue.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In an emergency anything can be used. For normal operation, there may be substitutes.
    But why differ from the factory specs on something that has a very low service interval.
    The fluids are on the shelf at West and other stores, Yes it cost a lil more, but why guess at what works when you can get the real factory product from a same/common retail shelf?

In the service we provide, If there is a factory spec, it gets that product.
    When we offer estimates & scopes of work, factory specs are noted and adhered to.

When there is any performance, warranty & support issues; We know everybody involved is on the same page and answers & support is easier to achieve.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In the steering use Hynautic steering fluid. I've seen people use both ATF and AW 36, but I use the Hynautic branded stuff.

The controls (throttles and shifter) get Hynautic ethelyne glycol. I too use the Hynautic branded stuff here too.
  6. Bearzgirl

Bearzgirl New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
    Steve
  7. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

The Hynautic throttle and shifter assemblies employ a double pilot check valve with close tolerances. I've seen the valves pitted and the reservoir body
    severely pitted, likely from additives in anti freeze. The Hynautic fluid is 50/50 glycol-distilled water.