Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

Hydraulic steering

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 1000 islands, Sep 12, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I have a Carver with hydraulic steering and lately there is a weird sound when I turn the wheel.

It's kind of like a rattling or chirping type of noise.

In addition it seems to me that the wheel is becoming a bit more harder to turn.

A couple of years ago I lost the steering fluid and it was repaired but not with the correct fluid, automotive transmission fluid instead of the correct Hynautics (sp), but it has been changed just afterwards.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I remember when you had the problem on the Trent-Severn.
    The tranny fluid is fine, but it sounds like you're low again or you're not pressurized enough. You should have a sight gauge on the side of the resevoir. If there's not a "full" mark, fill it to about 3/4. Also take a look at the pressure gauge atop the resevoir. I believe you'll be looking for about 12 psi. If low just pump it up. You probably have a hand pump located near by or with your tools. If not just use a bicycle pump. You could have another slow leak going on, but more likely the air pressure or liquid is just seeping due to your temperature extremes.
  3. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

The pressure appears to be okay......15 psi last check.

I just think there must be some other thing happening.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Check that 15 psi is right for your system. Different systems have different #s (the one I've been on these past few years was 35), but 12 is sticking in my head. I could be wrong. And the fluid level is ok? Next possibility, before spending a bunch of money. bleed the system. I believe you did that when you had your previous problem. Failing that, you know what's next. Good luck.
  5. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Yikes. I've been pumping mine up to 75psi. Per random mechanic suggestion. Does this seem to high? I have no idea what kind of system is on a 62 striker.

And perhaps that explains the red oil floating in the aft bilge.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's why I said to check. The Hatt I ran was 35psi. 75 psi sounds hi, close to what we pumped the gears to, but I'm not an expert. Check.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On a Hynautic the air pressure is needed to push the fluid out of the tank and up to the helm, it really doesn't take much. 10 to 15 is usually what's needed there is no need to crank it higher.

Using ATF is fine if you don't have Hynautic fluid or Mil spec hydraulic fluid, although ATf is supposed to result is slightly higher effort on the wheel

I ve seen some helm pumps making more noise than others, probably the helm pump itself.