Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Hurricane Patricia

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Oct 23, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Hurricane Patricia is on the way to being the source of tremendous devastation. The highest recorded winds ever by the National Hurricane Center at 200 mph sustained with higher gusts. Expected to still be a strong CAT 5 when it reaches land near Vallarta and Acapulco. Stronger than Andrew or Katrina. Typhoon Haiyan at 195 mph in 2013 killed 6000 in the Philippines. Landfall expected this evening.

Right now we're frightened for the people of the area, people we met in January of this year and who were so hospitable to us.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good luck to all. People in Texas and New Mexico should also be keeping track of this as I expect it will push through giving them heavy rains and flash flooding. This one looks real bad.
  3. olderboater

While the storm is expected to diminish quickly as it passes over the Mexican terrain, it's already impacting areas of Texas and some models have it eventually continuing in a path to cause increased rain all the way to the Great Lake area.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I couldn't imagine the impact a category 5 will have on Mexico.
  5. olderboater

From the little bit of information I have found it seems like they were evacuating and setting up shelters in a way hopefully to minimize loss of life. However, I see property devastation. I imagine the kind of damage to homes Andrew brought to Country Walk and to business buildings like Andrew brought to Burger King. Fortunately it seemed to be a fairly small hurricane in width and it won't cause Katrina type flooding damage due to the terrain and elevation. Also, it appears the worst missed larger towns. The big question now is how fast will it lose it's strength.

Last I found, the wind speed is down to 125. I've seen some videos that show the extreme force of the hurricane, but not showing the damage and I think we may not see many of those until morning.

To me the worst thing is any deaths. Then it's seeing people devastated, losing everything they had.