Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Hurricane Frances NOAA Track

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 31, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

So, monday morning we will see what is left of the new Ft Lauderdale skyline...
    Can´t be easy to cover the new high rise constructions with wind protections when they are halfway finished?
    Let´s hope Francis will turn around anyway!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The Perfect Storm?

Hurricane Frances, with sustained winds of 140 mph (category 4) is considerably larger than Charley, with hurricane force winds extending 175 miles. The eye of the storm is estimated to be 33 miles wide. When it makes landall, it could encompass the entire state of Florida.

As Frances gets over the warmer, shallow waters of the Caribbean and Bahamas, it should strengthen, possibly becoming a Category 5. Unfortunately, it has absolutely nothing interacting with it to sheer it.

The NOAA list two storms in the last 30 years as category 5's... Andrew and Camille.

Here's the satellite pic as of Wednesday, September 1st...

Attached Files:

3. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

I believe it's named Frances (not Francis), but either way, looks like I'm convienently going to be in Orlando for another hurricane :rolleyes: My mother's neighborhood in Orlando still hasn't had the yard waste removed from Charley and it's a lot (trust me, it took me a while to get it all cleaned up). Some of the cut logs might become projectiles... :eek:

Also, do any yachts (100'+) plan to sail out of port around now to avoid the upcoming mess?
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

You're right, it's Frances. Given the size of the eye... it should be spelled with "i". ;)
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Last night, I bought a ticket to fly down to West Palm & drive up to my place in Stuart. Being that it is right on the St. Lucie inlet, 50 yds. from the ocean, I assume there will be damage.
    This morning, I hear from my local buddies down there that stations are already out of gas, supplies are non existant and that the track of Francis is headed right for Stuart.

I decided to stay here & let the insurance Co. deal with this one. My neighbor is picking up a few personal nick nacks for me before he leaves at 12 today.
    I sure am glad my boat is up here right now!

You guys be careful down there, this is a big one. Get out while you can!!
  6. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

Well, I'm about to leave Gainesville to drive down to Orlando. Classes have been cancelled tomorrrow and the Gators game is postponed. I have to get the house ready for 109 mph winds and 135 mph gust :eek: I don't even want to know what it's going to be like on the coast. Hope everyone is getting ready because this doesn't look like it'll brush over. Good luck!
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Dave,

A pal of mine has a home on the north fork.... I fear for Stuart, because I really think its coming ashore there....

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/04_ATL_06L.FRANCES_ssmi_gif_full.html

I hope your house is ok, but I think that the prognosis is not good. :(
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  8. fish

fish New Member

Hey Carl,
    just wanted to wish you and the rest of the east coaster's the best of luck during the storm. Hope all fare well, and boats make it unscathed too.

God bless,

fish