Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Hurricane affect on the yacht sales market

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by texomawaves29, Sep 8, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. texomawaves29

texomawaves29 New Member

Does anyone have any insight as to what these storms will do to the demand for motor yacht sales in the Florida area? I'm in North Texas and have a Carver for sale and wondered if/how this will affect me. I'm wondering if there will be a significant demand on freshwater boats and when will buyers start looking inland?

Thanks, Chris
  2. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

Do a search on boattraderonline or yachtworld for boats like yours right now, and do another search in a bout a month and see how it has changed. That will show you any shifts in your particular market. I doubt you will notice much change though. When you get into boats that are over 30' it really doesn't matter where they are. We have a national marketplace in which buyers will search almost all over the country for the right boat. Information is so readily available and all taken into account when placing on value on a boat, the most valid of this info is sold boat data from boats that have sold throughout the county and is available to brokers. Your boat in the exact same condition as a boat in NY, a boat in FL, or a boat in MI will sell for the same price. Seller motivation has more of an effect on resale value than location anyway. How bad do yoou want to sell?
  3. texomawaves29

texomawaves29 New Member

I'm not in a bad situation at all... just not going to the lake every weekend like we used to. It likely won't sell it until the spring boat show fever kicks in, but for now I figured I'm asking a fair price of 108k... two other exact make/models are going for 120k and 125k ... and that's on the same lake (Lake Texoma). I posed as a buyer to go look at my competition. I have nearly the same exact features, hours, slip improvements, everything... Since I'm not trying to make a profit I figured I'd price mine to sell. These individual sellers are asking broker prices (10% more) ...OR they paid too much and can't afford to take a loss. Even within the lake, there's quite a price difference.
  4. texomawaves29

texomawaves29 New Member

just curious... have the insurance companies pretty much settled with the yacht owners after the hurricane damage last fall? ..and if so is there much demand for replacement motor yachts looking inland... around freshwater lakes? just wondering what the owners (that sustained damage) are doing. If they are looking inland, how far are they looking? I have a '89 Carver 38 for sale on Lake Texoma.