Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder

HOw to test fuel capacity?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Jun 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We are suppose to hold 2300 gallons, but I have my doubts. It's not safe to run them empty and fill up. How do you reasonably check?
  2. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not to many options. First try checking with the builder, they should have records and be able to tell you what they put in the boat. Unless they went belly up ... :(

Measuring the tank dimensions is an option if you can. Tanks are often partially buried..

If the tank as sight tubes or a top access port so you can use a dipstick, you can bring it down to the minimum safe level you d be confortable with and then fill it up. It will not give you the actual capacity but the safe / usable capacity

Last option would be to hook up a transfer pump and empty the tank into another one before filling

Or maybe somebody here owns or runs a sister ship and can confirm tankage

The last thing I d use is a broker or YW listing :)
  4. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Just a reminder that there is an air gap at the top and often the tanks cannot be sucked completely dry which amounts to about a 20 percent difference between measured volume and usable capacity. My tanks are stated to be 300 gallons but I begin to suck air at with 222 used.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

20% is a lot, far more than I ve seen on any boat i ve owed or run. Sounds like the pick up doesn't extend far enough.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Agree, 20% is a lot to haul around.
    (Long shot maybe, but did you look for a reserve valve or switch that will let you suck up the rest? On one of my boats I had a similar un-usable capacity but it was to protect the system from sucking up dirt and dead algaes from the bottom of the tank. If all the fuel was needed for an emergency or whatever, the pick-up tube could be pushed all the way down to the bottom of the tank)

Never had to use the feature, but I would also take the tank apart and clean the insides every 5 years. Windex and paper towels worked great, although not very "Nautical". I am sure West Marine will sell something really expensive to do the same job..:rolleyes:
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you can get good access to the tank and it's square or rectangular you can calculate it or many tanks have a tag on the top of them with the certification,tank builder, and size. If not, fill the tank completely, then get some 55 gallon drums and a pump (might as well fit a 2 micron racor or other filter on the suction line of your pump while you're at it, fill the tank and pump it into 55 gallon drums and measure it that way. Then pump it back. Usually 10% is not usable.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well I am a bit lazy so I d rather use a much fuel as possible then empty the rest in one or two drum to check amount then top off the tank.

Much less work than lining up 40 drums to measure a 2300 gal tank :)
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, that is true and easier......But then you don't have the opportunity to polish it all and give your marina neighbors something to look at.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Having just finished pumping 40 gals of oil in and out of the boat I can't imagine doing 2000 USg :) and yes the dock neighbors were watching ...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Diesel pumps a heck of a lot faster than oil, like 10x faster. I literally topped off a surface drive boat, and it wouldn't get on plane, so we then pumped and gave away 300 gallons of fuel to one of the owners buddies.....it went 45 minutes to pump that with an oberdorfer gear pump.....
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah, we have a gear pump to transfer fuel from the stern tank to the main and its 15 minutes to move 400 USG.

I still don't want to line up all those drums :)