Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck

How to get data from 1991 MAN Engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SerkanS, Jan 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SerkanS

SerkanS New Member

Hello,

I recently bought an old yatch with 1100hp 1991 MAN Engines on it. (D2842 LZE to be exact)

I would like to setup a new monitoring system with touch screen monitors using NMEA2000 protocol.
    It will be perfect if I can engines data such as RPM, Temperature and such.
    Anybody has an idea how to get this data from the engines and convert to NMEA 2000 signals?

Thanks in advance.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Maretron and Noland have analog to NMEA 2000 system data converters that will work with your LZE's
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Here is the cross from box driven analog signals to CanBus driven signals.
    I would consult with your MAN shop before plunging into a A to D (NEMA2K) box.
  4. SerkanS

SerkanS New Member

Thank you Captholli,
    I have read a lot about Maretron J1939 to NMEA2000 converter box.
    I just was not sure if my engines has J1939 output or not.
    I am not sure if MAN dealers in Turkey handles such inovative projects, so wanted to learn here before I ask them.

Any ideas what would be the connector to plug to the engine and where will it be connected to?

Thanks..
  5. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I highly doubt that engines of that age would have any electronics.

They are old school, with a big Bosch mechanical injection pump in the valley.
    There will not be any kind of "connector" as you are used to seeing in newer engines.

What you will have to do to have a monitoring system as you describe will be to install sensors on the engines, or as mentioned above have a box that can convert the signal from existing analog sensors already on the engine to digital.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, they have a monitoring system that displays error codes on the dash. Alarms and things of that nature only.......
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Yeah we had that crappy monitoring system and replaced it with an engine saver from Flight Systems. Regardless, even that monitoring system will not have any "data" other than simple analog switches that define simple "yes/no" alarm conditions.