Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Cross

Hot running Crusaders 454's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Beauregard, Apr 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beauregard

Beauregard New Member

Hey All,

So, I replaced manifolds/risers and also had the heat exchanger cleaned. I poured in 50/50 mix antifreeze in the system. When I ran the engines at the dock, this is what I observed:

Port engine ran at 175-180 degrees at 2000 RPM. I loosened the thermostat breather valve and purged the air then closed. I read that temperature at that level is normal for 2000-3000 RPM.

NOTE: I installed 160 thermostats.

The Starboard engine ran at 200 degrees at 2000 RPM. I drained the air from the thermostat and then closed it. For the life of me, I can't understand why I am running so hot in the starboard engine, when last season it read 180 with the old cooling system.

The RWC water pumps have new impellers.

I was told that I should see what a thermal gun says rather than old gauges.
    What is y'alls thoughts?
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Beauregard

As a test, switch temp gauge wires to see if the readings reverse. if not, gauge may have gone bad over layup
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard New Member

You know I was thinking that it could be the gauge, but how boating has been, I was thinking a lot more $$.. But I will give your suggestion a shot and let you know.

Thanks Beau
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

As you mentioned take a $25 IR gun and shoot it at the neck of the heat exchanger. They are one of the cheapest investments you can have on your boat. Use it all the time for checking engine and gen temps, etc. It might be easier than trying to switch the temp gauge wires.