Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

Hot LPG solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tirekicker11, Jun 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Vent is at the bottom and overboard. Are there any specific regulations about LPG/ Propane being stored in a dedicated area? I.E. an area not to be used for storage of goods (in this case buckets, brushes, boat cosmetics etc.)
    It's a 38' sailing cat.
  2. tirekicker11

Finally received a new solenoid, installed it and it gets hot too.
    Owner of the boat is still worried so I e-mail Parker to ask for the operating temperature but they just don't reply.
    I've send them pics and all numbers I could find somewhere last month but no reply to date.

Does anybody know whether this LPG solenoid valve is intended to get hot when in use?

Parker SHUTOFF VALVE PROPANE/NATURAL/GAS CAT NO 04F20C2-Z05A1FOC75 CUST P/N 1300-7708.2V-UP SER.NO. 10 08T
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I can sympathize with the owner but unless he wants to go to a larger solenoid he will have to get used to having a "hot" one.

A normal solenoid coil is rated to operate in an ambient temperature of around 80C. That is ambient, apply power and it can go up to 120 or higher depending on several other factors. A temperature rise of 80C above ambient is not unheard of for smaller solenoids built to a profitable standard. They don't last very long though.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

We had this issue on a yacht I used to run, and the solenoid was REALLY hot. I think we solved it by going with a solenoid that was normally closed and then with the power turned onto the solenoid is when it opened. Therefore the solenoid heated up when it was in the open position and the LP gas flowing through it kept it cooler. Please don't ask me what solenoid the electrician changed it to, because I couldn't tell you, but it looked similar to the other one.
  5. tirekicker11

Thanks for replying with degrees in Celsius. I'm pretty good with feet and miles but the Fahrenheit thing will never stick.
    As long as there's no fire hazard all is fine and my guess is that Parker knows what they're doing. Would be nice to receive a reply from them though...
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That is the standard. A normally open solenoid valve is not approved* for marine LPG installions and a normally open valve would just be plain silly anyway.

For some peculiar reason, ABYC is silent regarding the type of solenoid valve but the USCG specifically states that (on an inspected vessel) the valve must "be of a type that will fail closed."
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Unless one of their engineers actually measured the temperature with a thermometer calibrated and traceable to some recongized standards agency they probably can't say a word. Stating in writing how hot is "too hot" or not from the other side of the world is a fertile playground for plaintiff's attorneys if the boat blows up.