Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Help On Choosing The Right Boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by v Halcyon v, Sep 25, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. v Halcyon v

v Halcyon v New Member

Hi guys, my family and i have recently been thinking about cruising the coast of Australia in a motor yacht since we just finished a year long travel in a motorhome. However, we have never owned a boat before. Therefore im asking for some guidance and personal knowledge as to what boat you think would suit our needs within our budget. The boat would need to fit - 2 Adults (parents), 1 eighteen year old (myself), 1 seven year old and one 6 year old (siblings). The budget is 1 million (aud) but could stretch this if the boat was perfect. We are planning to live in the boat for at least 1 year.

After browsing the web, the 2006 Sunseeker Manhattan 66 seems to fit the requirements of my family and is within our budget. But this is just one boat that has caught my attention so far.

Feedback on the Sunseeker brand/boat would be greatly appreciated aswell as any suggestions regarding other boats.

Feel free to ask any questions, Thankyou.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You say you've never owned a boat. Are you indicating no member of the family has boating experience or knows how to operate one? If so, I assume you plan on hiring at least a captain if not two crew members? This isn't like jumping into a motor home. Then it's also a matter not just of the purchase budget but what have you allocated as your annual budget?
  3. v Halcyon v

v Halcyon v New Member

Thanks for your reply olderboater

My father has had experience on smaller boats before, he and myself will be attending courses on owning/navigating before buying a boat. We understand that owning a boat especially of this size comes with responsibility and requires a certain amount of knowledge. We will have alot if preparation to do beforehand and are fully prepared to do the work, as we are still in the early planning stage. We plan not to have a captain, however, this may be an option.

From reading up on other posts, im estimating 100k would be a healthy budget annually.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would highly recommend a Captain for a year at least. There is a lot more to just driving a 66' Sunseeker (which would be a great choice given your location). Navigating, reading weather, docking are all going to take time to learn. The OTHER aspect that is going to be very important, especially living aboard is knowing how to maintain and fix all of the systems, what spare parts and tools to have on board. Imagine having no freshwater to take showers with for days until you can find someone to fix it in who knows where. Or the toilets all not working because the macerator pump stopped working. You need to know how to diagnose and fix everything.

I think your budget would be ok providing the yacht is in good condition, not including fuel and dockage.
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I'm with Capt J. This is a VERY steep learning curve and no reading, courses or forum is going to make up for 30 years of experience, which can be the difference between adventure and ordeal. (Quote: Bob Bitchin', I think) Find yourself someone who's been there, done that and is also a good teacher and an easy to get along with temporary family member. I know, that's a herculean task in and of itself.......

That said..... go for it!
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

100% a great plan and it's possible. The Captain who trained us is definitely a family member now. We insisted he pile it on us and he was quite a taskmaster. I know captains here who have customers now who they're like family with. We hired a captain before buying a boat. He's led us from the beginning.
  7. Cruz

Cruz Member

Another consideration... unless insurance requirements are radically different in Australia (than the U.S.) your carrier will inevitably require a captain on board given your inexperience.

From everything I've come to understand about the Sunseeker 66 it seems to be a very worthy candidate for your intended use.
  8. v Halcyon v

v Halcyon v New Member

Thanks for your replies everyone, after speaking with the family we have all agreed that having a captain will benefit us greatly.
    The costs of owning a boat is quickly rising but hopefully it will all be worth it once we are out on the ocean. We are excited to go and check out some boats soon :)
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You might want to check out Captain's first, find one you trust who is very knowledgable and have him help you pick out a yacht that suits your needs.