Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Help in choosing 100+ feet motor yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by theyachtman, Oct 8, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are probably right. I saw her sparkling in Cannes, just before the Monaco Yacht Show.

Attached Files:

2. crossingoceans

crossingoceans New Member

With your budget i believe it will be difficult to find the quality you are looking for in that size range. I think the best bet would be to go with a company like westport in the US. Westport is built in washington state and has good product. Furthermore they displayed at the monaco show.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Wow..that yacht in the pic above......is stunning?....what is the make?
  4. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi
    Here is my 10 cents worth. Firstly De Birs yachts i will twice I saw one of there boat at the Cannes boat show this year and they have a lot to learn regarding boat building. The engineering is not what i would call good. Give them a few years and then maybe.
  5. nilo

nilo Senior Member

angel of joy

She is build by Cyrus yachts at their shipyard in Antalya Turkey. This is a joint venture between Vitters and Turkish interests. Vitters does the supervision and Turkish artisans and subcontracters are used for the building. If I am not mistaken the designer is Rene van der Velden. As to my knowledge he has previously designed Jules Verne for Vitters.

Nilo
  6. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

You are right the designer is Rene van der Velden. It is a beautiful boat
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Just to set the record straight.

Your boat does not have to be MCA to be chartered, do not let the Europeans cloud your judgement.
    If you check the charter rolls there are plenty of boats that are not MCA chartering and they do just fine.
  8. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Cyrus I think makes the most complete and beautiful semi-custom yachts in Turkey. I really don't see anything that beats cyrus in comparison in its class. Having said that, all this comes with a price. From a good source I think the cyrus 33 is priced between 10 and 11 mil USD.
  9. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

classic

Have you considered an older classic, for example a feadship?

Advantages:
    Lower purchase price
    Often more fuel efficient
    More ship (rather than boat) for your money
    Less depreciation

Disadvantages:
    Maintenance a little higher being an older yacht
    No warranty

An example
    I know of a 102ft 1969 feadship that has had new engines and a major refit for $2,500,000
    even if you spend $500,000 getting her to your specs you still have alot of boat for your money and some change to help with running costs.

But then, I am a sucker for the classics!!!!
  10. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I know it's an old post.....but Debirs ask about Euros 3.5M for their 85 foot yacht. IMO, the price is too high for an Egyptian made yacht.
  11. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

The "list" price was about €7.5 if I'm not mistaking so the Dollar figure would be accurate.

I would also suggest to take a look at a used yacht. A not too old yacht from a known builder will start about €5mln upward.

I do think that you can buy a new yacht for your budget, but don't be surprised about the quality once it's delivered. I've seen some wooden examples from yards in Turkey for prices like these.

1. buy 100ft but older and well maintained
    2. buy smaller and newer
  12. Irish Wake

Irish Wake Member

Seems to me that the focus here is primarily on the price. The bottom line is, well, the bottom line ! However I'd suggest spending some serious time thinking about how you will use the boat. Aircraft types speak of the mission. It's the same here, be very sure what you need the boat to be capable of doing. Then explore if you can obtain it within your budget. We took almost 2 years chartering and fine tuning our plans before our first yacht purchase. Result was a bit bigger budget but very happy owners.
  13. waterED

waterED New Member

14. RichLazzara

RichLazzara New Member

Couldnt agree more. Why a 100+ foot boat? Could an 80-90' accomplish what you want and allow you to buy newer and/or better quality for that $3.5 budget? A bunch of good advice in this thread, however if your locked in on 100+ and $3.5 then I would buy a pre owned boat. That price for a new 100+ yacht, if it even exists, would be a boat that you most likely would not want to invest in.
  15. Ray23

Ray23 New Member

Live on the plains, nearest port I visit is Port A
    With all the price, size options talk; just wondering what the up charge would be to get a different interior design package on the Westport or any yard for that matter. Do they give you an allowance or is it a matter of cost plus.

Thanks in advance,