Click for Comfort Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Help in choosing 100+ feet motor yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by theyachtman, Oct 8, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hi Guys,

I have $3,500,000 to spend and would like to get a brand new yacht which is over 100 feet long, i would really like 108 feet.

have a cruising speed over 25 Knots

Luxurious interior

Jacuzzi and sauna on board

Do you have any suggestions?

I live in the United Kingdom and would like to buy in europe or outside like turkey.

I have seen there are a lot of builders out there where you save millions of dollars buying from them rather than a well known builder like sunseeker that charge over a million or 2 extra. Like for instance i am very keen on the 105 feet motor yacht made by sun yactcilik a turkish builder, the broker i found is charging 3.5 million dollars for this yacht, it is a rival to the 2005 sunseeker 105, but half the price and from the looks and features far better and greater value for money. Unfortunately i have tried finding the builders website and cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

Do you know where i can get Sun Yatcilik website at?

This is the brokers site

http://www.**************/core/list...nits=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=60912&url=

So under 3.5 million dollars, good quality and a safe yacht that's passed all exams, which is the best for my money?

I hope you could answer all my questions

Any help much appreciated

Many many thanks
  2. Billy1119

Billy1119 Senior Member

I can't comment on the quality of Sun Yatcilik's boats, as I've never heard of them. I can say that a brand new yacht of that size going for $3.5 million would make me wonder about the quality of the boat. It is a good looking boat! Definitely following Sunseeker there.

Anyway, I don't have any suggestions for you as far as alternatives in that price range go (new), but I have a couple regarding this boat. Of course, you need to sea trail it (a given), but if you're new to yachts, I would want someone who knew their stuff to go along with you. In addition, certainly attempt to talk to current or previous owners of the manufacturer and get their opinions. Better yet, the captains of those boats. I understand that's one thing you're attempting to do here. I'd want to see where they're built, how they're built, and make sure you know what you're getting.

Aside from this, why are you considering only a brand new boat? There are many, many, very nice used boats out there. However, I can certainly understand wanting it built how you want with warranties intact.

One question in briefly looking over the specs - is it a jet drive? 'Cause a draft of 4' 3" on a 105 is very shallow.

Wish I could be of more help. Maybe later I'll come up with something else to assist you with.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

My first question is whether this is the amount that you have budgeted for the purchase of a boat, or whether this is an amount of money which you have to spend?
    If the latter is true, you may consider buying something in the range of $1.5M-$2M and save the rest for maintenance and upkeep of the vessel. Many people don't realize how much $ it actually takes to own a vessel of the size you are speaking about. Take for instance the rule of thumb (very general) of 10% of the purchase price. Now think about the two boats which you are looking at- the Sunseeker at $5M (?? I haven't looked at the actual cost, but am assuming from your post) and the Sun Yatcilik at $3.5M. They are similar size and will have similar operating costs, although my guess is, that in reality, the Sun Yatcilik will cost more to maintain. I say this because I haven't heard of the yard and (making some general assumtions) would guess that the quality of construction and engineering is inferior to Sunseeker.
    I believe that you will also find that you truly get what you pay for.
    Best of luck.
    Ken
  4. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replys

Firstly i have 3.5 million dollars to spend on a yacht

i have additional money for upkeep

3.5 million is the max i will pay

Ofcourse before i buy, i will take one for a test drive and ofcourse bring along an experienced guy to tell me their thoughts.

But anyway do you guys know any 108 feet+ motor yachts that are second hand from year 2000+ that i can get for $3.5 million?

any help much apppreciated

Many many thanks
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

i was just goign to suggest the Sunseeker Predator 108 range.........i think the go for about 2-4 million? has a jacuzzi in the bow and i think they can do about 32 knots.
  6. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

The predator 108 is a bit too expensive for me

I read it costs 5.5 million dollars

It's featured in the new james bond movie

But i do like it

I am sure you can get other yacht builders that can build similar yachts for at least half the price. Greece and turkey building costs are far cheaper, and just as safe.

I have to really dig into this and find some shipyards in the area.

What about a 85 feet to 100 feet for under 3.5 million new

and 85 to 100 feet second hand year 2000+ under 3.5 million dollars, do you know any?
  7. Billy1119

Billy1119 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure yachtluver was talking about a used one. Although, I don't know if you would be able to get a new enough one to make you happy for that price (3.5).

In my opinion these are more reasonable numbers. New, 3.5 for 85 feet (some boats, many cost more), and used, 3.5 for around 95, assuming 2000 and up (again, many will cost more than this).

As far as manufactures go, there are many that fit these pricing criteria. I like the looks of Sunseekers (although, not so fond of the newer ones), but I'm a little biased. On the other hand, they have their downsides like any boat. Are you basically sticking to a sleek Euro/Itallian style for options? That'll help narrow it down. Otherwise, you have a pretty extensive search on your hands.
  8. techmati

techmati Senior Member

you can look at http://www.debirsyachts.com/ also. i think you would be suprised at the pricing, they are built in egypt so like turkey the labour costs are low.
  9. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

wow guys thanks for all the replys

I took a look at the yachts from de birs and like what i see

Do you know any other yacht builders around the mediterranean

i have seen now turkey and egypt

I came across bilgin and abc yacht builders

They got superb yachts for my price range

I have spent the day researching but really can't find much which is why i am here again.

Can someone please list a load of good yacht builders around the med

many thanks
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

A quickie broker search popped up several 82' Horizons. Not as fast as a Sunseeker though.

Kelly
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You have raised a good and difficult question. 3.5 million dollars is a lot of money, but not enough to buy you a new and fast boat of good quality in this size.

This is where powerboats becomes superyachts and the quality is supposed to be more than skindeep. Personally I have not seen any production yacht this size meeting my demands so I would rather buy a second hand 80-90 foot boat of a known brand. Maybe a Falcon which has always been pretty good and timeless designs. They are considered as good boats to learn what you may want out of a superyacht and when the time comes, the resale value is also OK.

The only reason to go hunting for a "cheap" yard is if you are looking to build a one-off yacht where you will have your own designer and project manager. But again, 3.5 million will never buy you a new 100 foot superyacht...
  13. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

I agree totally with Lars.

One thing to keep in mind also is that the boat in the add is not built under Class and not MCA approved. At least it doesn't mention so and with one 10-person liferaft for 16 occupants, it is for sure not.

If you intend to charter out the yacht to cover some of the operating costs, bear in mind that it has to be MCA approved (and therefore class too). This also has a big effect on the resale value should you want to step up in a few year's time. Apart from the financial issue, there's also the added safety for you and your family off course.

One option to consider is the Cyrus 32.9 m. Top speed is about 25 knots, I believe. These boats are built in Turkey under the supervision and management of Vitters shipyard (Dutch). Don't know about the pricing, but it will certainly exceed $ 3.5 million.

http://www.monacoyachtshow.org/n2_exposer/asp_ang/liste_yacht.1.asp# (click on the icon near "Angel of Joy" at the last 1/4 of the page)

Finally, wherever you build, make sure you have an owner's representative and/or surveyor in the yard, and preferably also the crew that will man the vessel (at least for the last 4-6 months).

Bruno
  14. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

100 feet Yacht

I knew several new build projects in Turkey and was also involved to find
    shipyards over there to build yachts in the range from 30-40meters for some of my clients.

I think some of them will be able to build your dream or currently have some 80 % finished projects. Use a good surveyor and fly to the Yards to have a look.
    It will be a good experience also. ;)
  15. orion

orion Senior Member

16. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Attached Files:

17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Wow! That's a classy looking 92 footer. :) Very nice.
  18. nilo

nilo Senior Member

my assumption is that even doubling the figure will not be enough for a replacement of "angel of joy"

nilo
  19. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Nice Looking Vessel!

Even a sailboat guy thinks that is a nice looking vessel!!
  20. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

2006 Vicem 85

Since Vicem came up. I just received this link from the Rep for Vicem. A new 2006 Vicem 85. Asking $4.25m. Replacement is $5 mil. Take a look at this photos. She sure is beautiful.:)

http://dmallach.photosite.com/Vicem85