Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Help - Black Streaks

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by John Sakovits, Jun 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

Would love to get any input oh how to remove and prevent black streaks on a gel coat hull. Ideally what products do you use to remove them and what wax or other do you use to prevent.

Thanks in advance for your input !
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Roll off is the best all around spray cleaner for black streak or scuff marks. Spray and scrub with microfiber cloth
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is that black streak in the wax? Or an un-waxed hull?
    Were next to a rail line and the coal trains leave a heck of a black dust trail.
    You can tell the fresh waxed boats on the next rain.
    This coal dust and other pollutants (polen) luv to get in that fresh wax and make real ugly streaks.

When you clean it off, your clearing the wax.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Keep the boat waxed. I like collinite fleet wax. As someone else said Rolloff takes them off easily. BUT, I've found aquatech boat wash takes them right off without even having to use rolloff.
  5. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

rcrapps - the hull is waxed.

All - thanks for the feedback so far !
  6. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

are there any negatives with the Aquatech boat wash ? I know some of the products like roll off are acid based and could over extended use etch the gel coat.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

J
    Does the Collinite Wax not pick up the pollutants?
    We have one customer who had the yearly Polymer applied and when he had a black streak, it usually washed off. To expensive for the other S GA customers.
  8. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

for sure the Collinite's wax does pick up pollutants. What is your suggestion ?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The aquatech boat wash is very mild, along the lines of Meguiar's gold or Awlwash. It does not strip wax or anything else and isn't ammonia based.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

No suggestion, I'd luv to find a not so expensive wax product that does not collect dirt.
  11. John lewis

John lewis New Member

Hi! There is a company in San Francisco called P&S they make a liquefied wax that is just outstanding!
  12. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I have had very good results using Orpine boat wash on Awlgrip finishes. The awlgrip got an annual cleaning with finesse-it II, and the Orpine did a very good job of getting rid of the black streaks, and left behind a nice sheen. Wonder if anyone has used it on geloat / waxed gelcoat
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Orpine is ammonia based and hammers the Awlgrip. I've seen Awlgrip boats lose their shine in 5 years after being religiously washed with Orpine. The Awlwash does an excellent job at cleaning Awlgripped boats and does a very good job on black streaks, if not a touch of Spray nine on them.......

I don't use Orpine on gelcoated boats either. It's just not that good. The Aquatech boatwash takes off black streaks with a vengence and works really well without stripping wax.
  14. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member