Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Hello

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Wilson, Feb 15, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Wilson

Wilson New Member

I'm very new to this, so I was wondering if someone could point me to some sites for newbies that are interested in buying a yacht.

I'm looking for something that I could take from San Francisco to Costa Rica and back, once in a while. (Since I'm hoping to buy some property down there, any insight into this would also be helpful)

I been buying all the yacht mags for several months trying to read up on the yachts.. but there is so much to learn.

Also how feasable is it to make a trip down to Costa Rica? What type of yachts would be needed for a trip like this?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been dreaming about owning a yacht since I was a kid and now I think I'm old enough to have one ;)

Wilson
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Welcome aboard Wilson!

If you can be a little more specific, I'm sure some of our members can help you narrow down your search. Give 'em an idea on the size and accomodations you're looking for. I'm at the Miami Show for the next few days, so I'll chime-in later.

Come on guys, lend a hand...
  3. awayocean

awayocean New Member

Welcome.

Sail or power,100 000$ or 1 000 000$ boat?
  4. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Ok here's where reality and my dreams probably won't click...

I would love to have power instead of sail and for me and my fiancé, something between 45’-60’ would be preferable. I’ve seen quite a few of these advertised for under $500k U.S. which would also fit around the price range..

But I guess all of this doesn’t mean anything, if power yachts can’t handle the range and I have to think about sailboats instead. (S.F. to Costa Rica with minimal fuel stops).

Also is it me, or does it seem like there are as many boat manufacturers as there are boats? Is there a good list that rates these companies? What’s the difference between a “Sunseeker” and “Benetti”? Is it the same as a Ford vs. Ferrari?

Thanks again…. As you can see I’m just starting out and feeling like a cave man walking into a car dealership.
    :eek:
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You gave yourself an answer there, even if I would love to see a ranking, there are so few yachts built by each builder and even then they are semi-custom so you can not really compare. At least not yachts above 50 feet.

I have looked on my "map" and the distance you would like to go is almost like an Atlantic crossing. And even if you might find fuel along the way, it will be too long to enjoy more than once. A sailing yacht is a better choice, but without sailing experience I wouldn´t recommend it.

Frankly, if it was me, I should buy two smaller boats and keep one at each place. Or start with one about 40 feet and later trade up if the idea grows... :)

(encl. are three boats representing good value, depending on how fast and far you like to go; Grand Banks 42, Eastbay 43 and Azimut 40)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Thanks, that answered alot of questions. I think my only real option is to buy one in Costa Rica and fly down there when I want to use it.

I've seen a few that look like trawlers, have 4000+ NM range but slightly out of my range there..
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

That is probably a good idea, even if I don´t know the area. A friend sent me this picture a couple of months ago from Guatemala, looks pretty nice I think! :)

Attached Files:

• Gua.jpg
      Gua.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Here is three from my visit last year..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Buying a yacht with range

There are many styles of yachts, but your need for range is best determined by hull shape for several reasons. A full displacement yacht (trawler) is designed to cruise at approximately 8 knots which means that fuel consumption is minimized; also these yachts are designed to have greater fuel capacity. There is an enormous choice of trawlers that can easily accomodate the range to cruise from San Francisco to Costa Rica (and back too for many on the same tanks of fuel). The shape of these hulls are also designed to provide comfortable rides for long passages such as your intended route. Additionally, they make great live-aboards and usually have more voluminous space also due to their hull shape.

Not only have I cruised your stomping grounds, but have dozens and dozens of clients who have made this passage frequently. This is an easy one for a knowledgable owner and quality vessel. Your knowledge should come from boating courses, personal training, and hands-on experience. I would be glad to recommend schools and training captains, one highly regarded professional in particular is in San Francisco.

My yacht brokerage company specializes in trawlers and long-range cruisers. I have numerous listings that meet your price and range parameters; examples would be a Cheoy Lee 55 LRC and a Krogen 54 (which has made 2 transatlantic crossings).
  10. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Thanks Judy, if you can email me the brochure, I would really appreciate it.

wilsonv@ix.netcom.com

I was just browsing around the Krogen site.. They look pretty good.
  11. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Buying a Yacht

Hello Wilson,

I only have to say that Lars ( AMG ) had the best idea. Buy 2 Boats.
    Please think that you also need Crew for such long trips ( normaly 3-4 )
    And Crewagencys are very expensive
    :)
    Also have a look at yachtworld to find the right yacht /s and use the service of a surveyor before you pay money ( you told that you are a novice in yachting business )

Good luck with the wave of broker offers you will get in the next weeks.