Click for Burger Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

height restrictions from Lake Erie to NYC?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by KAC148, Oct 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. KAC148

KAC148 New Member

I've seen all sorts of data on the height restrictions between Lake Erie and the Atlantic. Trying to plan part of the Loop, or just a quicker way to get south. Have a bridge clearance of 19'06". Which routes are open to me along these paths? I would prefer to do the canals, on to the Hudson, then on to NYC. Will I have any issues?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You cannot do it from Lake Erie on the Erie Canal east, that is 16'5. You are going to have to go from Lake Erie, through the Welland Canal (Email Rodger, a member on this board as he is a great guide to help you through it.). Once in Lake Ontario you need to go East to Oswego NY and take the canal south to 3 rivers, then Erie Canal East to Troy, NY and then the Hudson River South to NYC. The lowest bridge is just North of Troy and a minimum air draft of 20'2n(usually there is another 1-2' more there) so you will have no problems. Plan on Oswego to NYC taking 3 days, but if you have the time plan for more as there are some beautiful stops along the way. I've done this trip 4 times and love it everytime. Make sure your full of fuel at Oswego as fuel stops are limited along the way for diesel. My Typical stops are Oswego 1 night, Redneck Yacht club 1 night or Lake Sylvan there's a nice marina as soon as you get out of the West side of it or a nice City Dock on the East side of it, Troy, NY (city dock usually) 1 night and from there to liberty landing across from NYC. Also make sure to have 4 nice sized fenders for your vessel and a few 50' docklines.

What boat, what cruise speed, what fuel, and what kind of range?
  4. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Yep. Plan on being ok with an air draft of that. I just did that exact route (Sandusky, OH to Pt. Colborne, through the Welland and on to Oswego and through the Canal). Like they said, fuel up at Oswego and be prepared to spend a night or two on a wall and running the GenSet all night. We did a night in Sylvan Beach on the wall, a night at Little Falls Harbor, and a night at Schenectady Yacht Club where the locals treated us to a great bonfire and cookout and then we ran the final locks the next morning and down to Liberty Landing before we left for Charleston. I was on a Sea Ray 52' Sedan Bridge with 19'04" to the top of the Sat Dome and had no problem. Just laid down the masthead light and radio antennas.