Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Have you seen TIME?

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by CaptTom, May 9, 2007.

1. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

One of my all time favorite yachts is the PJ yacht TIME. Built around 1987 and designed by the late Tom Fexas, this yacht was state of the art in its time (and still is by some accounts). But through some conversations on this forum and speaking to others, no one can tell me where this yacht may be located.
    So I'm asking here, has anyone seen TIME recently and can you share the location with me (us)?
    Thanks for your help
    Capt Tom
  2. storm

storm Guest

Time?

Three years ago, I was ask to seatrial her for a mexican owner. I can only hope they took specical care of her.
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Tom, no one has time

:rolleyes:
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Loren,
    I think you're right (thanks for taking the time to respond).
    I would thank storm for his reply, but it looks as though time (and Carl) has caught up with him.
    Tom
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Storm was on borrowed time from the start.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Timely tidbits

What I recall about "Time" was that there was some confusion as to whether she was an Attwood or a PJ. Guess two groups got involved?

The other recollection was when Florida Detroit Diesel's engine guru got involved. David Friedenberg was dubious about the weight claims of the originally installed MTU engines. After doing a weight study, he convinced the owners to swap out the motors for a pair of 24-71TIs (a rare 71-series from DD).
    I forget how much faster the boat ran (a knot or two), but David was right-- the boot stripe rose noticably after the reinstallation.

Oh, and that aft deck hot tub!
  7. panamagold

panamagold New Member

8. jetboatcap

jetboatcap New Member

Info on Time

Time was an "Atwood 126", which was the first of what was planned to be a line of yachts bearing the original owner's name. There was even a larger hull already constructed by PJ, waiting for completion before the news of the reliability of the engines in the Time put a damper on sales.

The engines were eventually replaced in 1991, at the old Broward yard on the New River, with Detroit Diesel 16V-149TI's. I am not sure where the other submitted engine info came from. The 2400 horsepower per engine was less than the original 396-TB94's 2610 HP each, but there was little difference in speed due to reduced weight.

If anyone wants more info, I could probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about this yacht.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks everyone for you input.
    Jetboatcap, is TIME on the charter circuit or private? And are there any plans to be in South Florida any time soon? Would like to get a closer look if able. Back in the 1990's I would have to admire her through the glossy magazine pages while in New York. Now in Florida, I would drop everything to get a personal look at her, and learn about where she has been all these years (almost like an old girlfriend).
    Thanks
  10. jetboatcap

jetboatcap New Member

Current "TIME"

Capt. Tom,

I believe that the Time was sold finally, as has been posted here on this forum, to a new owner in Mexico, a few years ago. I didn't know what happened to it until I saw an ad for it, offering it for sale, purportedly lying in the Cancun area of Mexico.

The boat was chartered infrequently when I was on it, but was never heavily chartered, as far as I am aware. The boat served as a winter home for the original owner, usually lying in Lyford Cay, where the owner was a member. There were also a few Caribbean winters. Summers were split between staying in Florida and New England.

I have no knowledge of any plans for the boat. Since it left Florida, I have not been able to keep track of it. It was lying at the Lauderdale Marine Center on the New River for a couple of years, prior to being sold.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy Holidays.
  11. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Jetboatcap,
    Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate the response.
    Check your IM.
    Tom
  12. hard hat

hard hat New Member

Time

I have looked at Palmer Johnson / Attwood “Time” in Cancun and have some questions.
    1. How fast is it (cruise is 20 knots?)
    2. Is it practical to think of doing 10 knots with a single engine and come anywhere near the fuel consumption of a similar semi displacement prop boat?
    3. Is there a site I can look at fuel consumption graphs?
    4. This Detroit Diesel block makes 2500 hp. This must shorten the life?

There is no indication that the engines have been repaired and are suppose to have only bout 3000 hrs.
  13. jetboatcap

jetboatcap New Member

Hard Hat,

With the new (1991) DD 16V149's, Time did cruise at 20 knots. That was under normal sea conditions, in open water, at about 1850-1875 RPM's. However, one time, going home to FLL from Lyford Cay, I transited the banks, from NW Channel to Cat Cay/Gun Cay Cut, in 1 hour, 45 minutes. If you are familiar with that stretch, you can do the math. The shallow water effect was significant, to say the least!

Cruising on less than all of the engines designed for most boats is not recommended, even though some people do it. I once had a very economical trip from FLL to Maryland's eastern shore, doing only 1500 RPM's, in calm seas, in 50 hours. The course I plotted was as close to the axis of the Gulf Stream as was practical for the length of the trip. However, I am not sure there could ever be a consumption comparable to a typical displacement yacht of similar size or tonnage.

Fuel consumption graphs are hard to come by. Each yacht has it's own factors, which make their consumption rate unique. Also, most yachts burn more than the owner or the broker would like to admit. Good luck finding anything other than engine manufacturer's data, which will rarely, if ever, claim anything associated with any particular yacht.

The prototype 149's installed on Time made a claimed 2400 SHP. However, you are correct in thinking that it will shorten the life. In spite of additions to the original 149, (which I believe was originally designed for about 900 HP), such as ceramic coatings in the combustion chambers, and extra heat exchange capacity, there were a few flaws with DD's first attempt to use this configuration. The exhaust valve heads kept snapping off, which would require a new cylinder kit, possibly a piston, and definitely a new turbo, each instance. The original Gilkes R/W pumps were also flawed, which I eventually replaced with a newly-designed Jabsco. (Jabsco had previously not had a pump of that capacity, hence the Gilkes).

The fix involved less efficient injector nozzles, with fewer, but larger holes, and new heat exchanger cores. We considered changing the cams, but decided to try the originals with the new injectors. The effect was dramatic! There was a 20 degree F drop, across the board! And, the boat still got up on plane. We never changed the cams. The new HP was estimated at 2300, but the reliability shot through the roof. There was no press release for that, even though it deserved one.
  14. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I just saw "Time" this morning. It looks like its been unattended to for several years. All the wood is shot, paint is completely flat, I can't even begin to imagine what it looks like inside.
  15. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Shazam, can you tell me where you saw it? If not publicly, please send me a private message. Thanks
  16. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Under the shed at Jones. Really truly sad condition.
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks. May take a ride over there to take a look. I think I still have one of the articles from a boating magazine when she was originally launched.
  18. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

19. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Keith, you are spot on. Good find.