Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander

Hatteras Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by f3504x4ps, Jun 12, 2017.

1. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Can you you tell me when Hart went to an aluminium fuel tank? I see the 60's have them aluminium fuel tanks. I ask be cause I have been looking at newer 60MY

Thanks Rich
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Factory Hatteras's have glass tanks.
    There was a shop in Ft Lauderdale That would extend the factory boat and added alloy tanks in the stern or cockpit then.

Can you send the sales ad for the MY60 your referring to. I am always open to learn.
  3. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

I will have to upload the 2017 60MY buyers guide tonight and I sent an email to Hatteras directly to find out if for the 2008 56MY and 2010 up 60My have fiberglass or Aluminum fuel tanks. I could have miss read the brochure. I will post once I know.
  4. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Sorry to have hijacked the thread.
    The 56MY/60MY have had aluminum fuel tanks from their inception. You can find any other information regarding the 60MY buyer’s guide on our Hatteras website. Thank you!

Kindest Regards,

Hatteras Yachts Customer Sales Analyst

Rich
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm sorry you hijacked the thread too, so I've split your posts and put them into a dedicated thread in the Hatteras forum. Do you have something of value to add to the forum Rich, or are you just here to promote Hatteras?
  6. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

The thread stated that all Hatteras came with fiberglass tanks. I was looking at possible purchase and also was under the assumption that all were built with fiberglass tanks also. I was surprised to read in a brochure and then while looking at used 56MY and 60MY I read aluminum fuel tanks and not fiberglass tanks. I don't work for Hatteras. Must trying to determine next boat.
    Thank you.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Also, it should be noted that in addition to Aluminum Fuel Tanks, the Hatteras 60MY has Polyethylene water and holding tanks.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Did the OP not post something he received from Hatteras? ...I'm easily confused.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, perhaps there's something removed that we didn't see as I thought the OP, if anything, was posting negatively about Hatteras since the common belief was that their tanks were all fiberglass and the 60 isn't.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hatteras does indeed use 1 aluminum fuel tank of 1200 gallons. They went to Aluminum because it fits where it is installed and the size is totally repeatable (no variations). It is in a very dry location and well above any bilge water areas. All of the other new Hatteras' still use fiberglass fuel tanks.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then I have learned a new Hat Tric.
    Hatteras does use alloy tanks.
    This is only in their later 56 & 60 MYs?
  12. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

I was under the impression that all Hatteras boats used fiberglass tanks. Why is it said that an aluminum tank is only good for 15-20 years? Is it due to the tank eventually breaking away from the fiberglass holding the take in? Or some other reason? If your paying that much for a Hatteras why skimping on the fuel tank, poly holding tanks and poly water tanks.

I did post what I received for Hatteras. What I got from Hatteras was that All 56MY/60MY came with aluminum fuel tanks.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Location is everything. In the location Hatteras has installed this Aluminum fuel tank, I would think it would last 30+ years. Aluminum fuel tanks typically fail from corrossion and being in either a salty or wet location. I have worked/managed yachts with similar tank locations (aluminum) and the yachts were 25-30 years old and the tanks still looked like brand new. One was a 1984 54' Bertram SF and the tanks up high in the front of the engine room looked perfect with no issues, whereas the cockpit fuel tank in a wet location had failed 5 years earlier.
  14. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Capt J that's where I was missing the issue with aluminum fuel tank. I boat on Lake Michigan no salt water here. Will be a different story when we move to Floriday. We see tanks last till someone messes up the tank with old fuel or gas.