Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Walker

Has anyone used RX: a UV Protectant/Cleaner/Polish for Eisenglass?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Originally labelled Plex-RX by Hardline Products, it's now been re-badged "RX"; an AV protectant spray in a can that is supposed to prolong the life of Isinglass or the plastic lenses on gauges. Some positive reviews on West Marine's website. Have any YF members used it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Never used it, and have been less than thrilled with most of West Marine's cleaning/protectant products as they seem to be 50% watered down compared to the origional manufacturers.

I use PLEXUS for quick cleanings of eisinglass/strataglass which is most similar to the product in the picture. Generally I use either the Imar Cleaning spray, followed by the IMAR strataglass polish which is endorsed by Stataglass. Or I use the Aquatech cleaning spray, followed by Collinite insulator wax. The Imar polish is a little more of a polish (very slight compound) over the collinite and does a little better job if you have fine scratches. Both systems work very well.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The manufacturer of this product has generously offered to send out samples of this product for senior YF members to try. His only request is to use it and post your results in this thread. Send your name & mailing address to my attention and I'll forward it to the manufacturer for shipping. Carl (at) YachtForums (dot) com
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Done! I will be happy to test out RX Plastic Cleaner Polish & UV Protectant and report my findings to the world - on YachtForums.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

YF RX Plexus Test.jpg Recieved the RX this evening and set up a test on my Harley windscreen. Will report back on the resusts in a couple of weeks. One thing I noted during application is that the RX is considerably thicker. That gives me hope for it.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not sure if i'd leave the tape on the windshield.

I recieved mine and Thank you, will be testing it out shortly.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only thing that goes on the windscreen is my Patriot Guard Riders banner. That tape was put on for a clear line of comparison and so I'd remember what was on which side. The painter's tape came right off. Thanks.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Your windscreen looks to be in excellent shape to start with, but did you notice any clarity difference between the two products?
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For an 11 y.o. bike with over 30,000 miles on it I try to keep it pristine. The windscreen was replaced a little over 2 years ago after I crashed and went through it. Did not see any difference in clarity in the garage. I'll have it out in the sunshine tomorrow or Friday and let you know. The main difference I noticed so far was that the RX is thicker What I'll be looking for initially will be clarity, then wear, and over a couple of months yellowing. I ride all winter as long as the roads are clear. So I plan to do the split screen test for several months and report.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When I took the bike out Wednesday I noticed a little more bluing on the RX side than on the Plexus side, but that could be from several factors (humidity?). Plexus also gives some bluing. It was just more on the RX side. Today when I turned into the sun I noticed that the RX side is now darker, almost like a very light tinting. It's not noticeable on a casual glance, but it's there. Not an effect I'm necessarily happy with, but again it could be from factors such as a lower temperature today. If the RX proves to be better protection, lasts longer or cuts sun glare better I'd consider it a fair trade-off. Also, if the darkening is fairly uniform as it seems to be, I wouldn't be unhappy with the look. It's mostly noticeable to me now because it's only on one side.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

After 9 days I reapplied the RX and Plexus to my wind screen last night in the split-screen test. It was quite evident that the Plexus was all but gone, but there was still a good coating of the RX on it. Being an old guy I like to stick with the tried and true, but call me thoroughly impressed. I like this stuff. In fact so much so that, although I'm continuing the split windscreen test, I've now applied it to my bike's chrome. My chrome forks are a special concern to me as they take a lot of abuse from sand being thrown up from cars on the highway. So I really welcome any protection I can get for them. The windshield on my car is another sore point as at almost 13 years old it's thoroughly sand blasted. So I put it on there. It didn't cure the damage, but it made it better.

The RX is a little harder to apply as it's more waxy and requires more buffing, but not much. It did darken my bike's windscreen slightly, but I actually like the effect and that gives better glare reduction.

Must say that, being the critical and skeptical SOB I am, I really expected to be giving this stuff an at least not good review. Instead I now have a new go-to stuff. I haven't checked the store price yet, but if it's cheaper than Plexus I'll be doubly happy as that stuff has gotten a little outrageous.

Thanks Carl for turning me on to it, and thanks Kevin from Hardline for sending me the sample. I like it.....A LOT.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Harley 1.jpg

My test is done. After applying the RX & Plexus in the split windscreen test a second time it was obvious that the RX was superior in look, protection and grip. This morning I gave my bike it's winter riding season wash and polished every acrylic, stainless, chome and painted surface with RX.