Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Westport

Hamann VS Orca

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Aug 22, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Hamann VS Orca sewage treatment systems

In an all out battle for the best contender, which would you want in your engine room to ensure the best reliability in processing your bosses you know what. And the winner will be.............
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Hamann by far
  3. Garry Hartshorn

Noticed Microphor was not in the mix :) It seems for the last 6 months I have been in the (*^& at least once a week :mad:
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Orca is by far the worst one! The Hamman system is very good, but requires that you pump your tank dry occasionally to rid the sludge.
    The Headhunter Tidal Wave is also very good.
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Personally if I had it my wave I would insist on an EVAC collection system and Hamann treatment with the discharge going through an electronic eye and substandard discharge returned to B.W. tank.

The tubulance in the tank generated by the EVAC pumps greatly reduces the sludge build up. but you still really have a look in there at least once a year
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have had a number of systems over the years.

The simplest and most reliable was a holding tank and submersible pump, not treatment or electronics other than hi level alarm and no problems.

Now the the systems that offer to treat the goods.

ORCA- Without a doubt the worst piece of equipment to ever be installed onboard a boat.

MICROPHOR- Not as bad as ORCA but still need lots of TLC, Microphor toilets not cheap or very user friendly to repair the operating valves on either.

HAMMAN- The most reliable and user friendly units I have worked with to date, the Tank coating lasts like nothing I have ever seen before. I do not like the inspection hatch being mounted vertically as the stuff stuck to the lid tends to drip down the front of the machine as you open the tank. Holger Hamman agreed as a part of a long standing agreement with me to supply and fit a drip catcher under this lid and the level switches on the unit we have just installed. It hasn't been commissined yet but can only be an improvement to an already excellent design.
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You guys really know your, er, stuff. ;)
  8. Garry Hartshorn

You tend to learn about these problems very quickly. I still have vivid nightmares about an Orca system blocked with a tampon, we were getting the crap kicked out of us in the Anagada Passage at the time, about 15 years ago. And I had drunk a bottle of Oringina about 1/2 an hour beforehand. Never touched the stuff since.
  9. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Very interesting inputs up there. The reason I had origanaly posted this thread is becuase I have an Orca now and I am looking into replacing it with a Hamann system. The Orca is on it's last leg being about 8 years old. About every six months it requires some indept emergency surgery proceedure that always takes multiple days to preform. It's a real s**** job. Intresting enough Hamann is now building a system to fit in the same foot print as Orca. There must have been quite a recent demand for people wanting to replace there Orca systems in my same situation.
  10. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

K1W1,

I agree :
    "The simplest and most reliable was a holding tank and submersible pump, not treatment or electronics other than hi level alarm and no problems.":)

rgds,

Andrei
  11. Garry Hartshorn

I think this is the simplest

Attached Files:

12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would have to agree a bit with that pic Garry but there is an even simpler system that I forgot to mention.

It has no pumps, no electronics, no pipes to block, only 1 moving part and it can save your life in an emergency.

It is the humble bucket.
  13. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

When you are sitting in that nice tight marina with no chance of you dumping and getting away with it, it is really nice to know that the problem is being handled with or without you and legaly for the most part. Not to mention those times when the boss brings 50 people on board drinking beer and you see the line of people at the main saloon head and you know the tank has only a 300 gallon capacity.......
  14. Garry Hartshorn

Hence the depth of knowledge in dealing with $H1^ ;)
  15. Garry Hartshorn

Just come across a product EM-1 which is a super microorganism for septic tanks. Anyone had experiance with this, I am thinking about using this in a Microphor system instead of Microphor supplied product.
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Perhaps a bit off the primary topic but it's all sxxx anyway.
    One insurance company that I'm aware of took note of the press on the high levels of cocaine "residual products" to be found in the Thames and Po rivers. Sampling has since been done on the blackwater treatment systems on a few offshore installations in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea. At least one nation's military sample the effluent on their naval vessels. I'm wondering if samples are being taken on yachts yet.
  17. Garry Hartshorn

Haven't heard of sampling sewerage for drugs on yachts, however is becoming common practice for crew to have to submit regular urine samples as a condition of ongoing employment
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't recall seeing any offshore installations last time I was up the Thames maybe the authorities should look a little closer at what happens when it rains heavily in London. Invariably the Thames is flooded with tons of raw sewage. This is more likely where the Coke Residue comes from.

What do they propose to do try and isolate the DNA of the user from the residue and hope they get stopped in a traffic stop one day and swiped for a sample?

Gary is right random urine sampliong is becoming the norm in many contracts these days. I know of at least two yachts where the test kits are carried onboard for random testing whilst at sea and with guests onboard.
  19. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The offshore installation that was noted was a drilling platform. Positive result in the blackwater would trigger immediate sampling of all aboard.
  20. Garry Hartshorn

I guess there is a good logic for that. I don't know how many people work on an oil rig at any one time but it would be a lot more than a yacht so I am sure it works out cheaper for the company to do it that way.