Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Gunnels on 2000 50' Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jrp4783, Mar 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I have a moisture problem on both the starboard and port gunnels in the cockpit area. It appears that the problem started around the rod holders as this area seems the wettest. The gunnels have a large piece of painted wood that runs the length of the cockpit and this wood is rotting. It seems that I will have to remove the wood, check if the gunnels have wet coring then replace the wood. Has any other Post owner had this issue? Is this construction of wood under the gunnels normal for Post?
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

I have the same set up on mine. I think the wood is teak? Mine (keep my fingers crossed) has been completely dry. Do you fish out of the holders a lot. Maybe they need to be rebedded?
  3. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Thanks Beau - I don't fish at all from the holders. There was some work done on the non-skid/painting and I'm wondering if the rod holders were not re-bedded after the work. Now the problem seems large enough where the wood and some of the coring will have to be reworked. The guy that I have looking at it is suggesting removing the rotted wood then replacing it with multi- layers of marine plywood and then glassing in the wood.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Good luck JRP. Maybe when it dries out, the repair won't be too extensive?
  5. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I believe the wood to be mahogany. My 56 has the same thing.
  6. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Thanks ESS - I spoke to Patrick at Post and he also thought the wood was Mahogany. He was very helpful and did seem a bit surprised that the wood had rotted. Also said that the surface of the gunnels were cored and to make sure all of the wet wood was removed. Project will start next week.
  7. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I am surprised too. Mahogany doesn't rot that easily.

There is a lot of mahogany in our boats.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why not remove the rotton wood and replace it with a lightweight coring? Easier to work with.
  9. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

There is always Git Rot or similar product if the damage isn't to much.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Yikes, no Git Rot on a Post!
  11. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Well it's turning out to be a bigger job than originally thought. The mahogany was rotted pretty bad and the coring inside the gunnel tops had to be removed. We are reinforcing the bottom of the gunnels with layers of marine plywood that will be glassed in. The only thing that made sense is that the water came in through the rod holders and somehow wicked up between the mahogany and gunnel?
    IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Holy Cow! JRP you certainly have all my condolences. I went over mine with a moisture meter after your post. Doesn't show anything unusual. Do you think it was your last repair that may have contributed to this.... Looks like the transom top is OK?
  13. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Thanks Beau. As far as I know, there was no repairs done on the gunnels before. The non-skid was redone but that was it. I'm glad to hear yours are dry. I went over the rest of my boat with a meter and didn't find any areas of concern. My starboard gunnel is also wet. I'm going to seal around the rod holders to see if I can get another couple of years out of it.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

JRP

Any chance you can pull those starboard rods holders for a bit. I'm thinkin' let the moisture out before you rebed them? Likewise can you drill some holes from the bottom in wet areas to give you more drying surface that can take a bung and epoxy later? Put a small fan under there to get some temporary circulation. Linseed oil when it 's dry??
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  15. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

This got me thinking, so I checked mine as well. I have a small 4-5" section on the port aft corner that is wet as well. Ugh. I'm going to cut it out and see what's what. Can I just replace this with a teak piece, or do I have to reinforce it to the other pieces with some glass/epoxy as well?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That small of a section I would pull the rod holder and dry it. It may still be structurally strong enough once dry.
  17. Cap'n Eddie

Cap'n Eddie New Member

Wow, JRP....sorry that you're having to deal with what became such a big problem/project. I guess I better check mine next time on the boat. ('99 50')
  18. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

If your moisture is just in the coring (Not in the mohagony) I wouldn't think it's a structural issue. Even if the mahogany is just wet you can probaly find the source of moisture ingression and correct that and then allow the wood to dry. In my case the mohagony was rotted and had to be removed. As the rear cleat is mounted to the mohagany, I had a true structural issue.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A lot of people fail to realize just how much torque is put on a rod holder if you're fishing the boat, or if you stick that shiny shorepower holder into the rod holder and all of that twisting and tweaking of the rod holder effects the bedding and sooner or later they're going to start leaking there.
  20. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    That's why I replaced them with the ones with the cup holder option, not much torque impact from my beer can I suppose...