Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay

Grand banks 59

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by margo123, Jun 7, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. margo123

margo123 New Member

Hello,

I am purchasing a 59 Grand Banks and am looking for a captain. The boat
    is in Connecticut and needs to get to the Great Lakes.
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

You may be better looking to a transport company.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why?:confused: She won't be going over land, and I don't think anything like Dockwise does transports from Newark up to Montreal (which is the furthest they'd have any hope of getting a transport. They'd then need a captain anyway.
    She'll be going through the Cape Cod Canal, up to the Straits of Canso, then down the St. Lawrence. A captain is exactly what they need. In fact I'd love to do the run on that boat, but I just don't have the time. I'll make a few inquiries for the OP though.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

So, ED, why am I confused for making a suggestion ? seems if I post you just enjoy sniping at it...will be out of here for posting as I don't need childish comments made at a suggestion. At least it wil;l make your return from retirement happier.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're being overly sensitive. I really am curious about your reasoning. That's why I asked "why"? It confused me. I figure you're thinking something that I'm not seeing. Rarely do I mock anyone. I'm more interested in expanding my knowledge.
  6. seatrek10

seatrek10 Guest

Congratulations on your new purchase . My name is Ed. I would be very interested in learning more details and discussing delivery of your vessel with you. My email is email address removed! Over the water is the only way. Drop me a note. I'll look forward to hearing from you
  7. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

59 Grand Banks

Good afternoon, I've PM'd you as well. I'm currently in Ohio and could help you with this delivery, I've done it a few times and it's a great ride, and I 'm familiar with GB's. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

He's from the "Empire" state... and that's his MO.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right now I'm on serious pain killers, and my patience is real short. So let me ask, Where the hell do you come off with that comment? Dennismc made a comment that I didn't understand the reasoning behind and I asked for an explanation so I could learn. Where the hell do you get off coming out of left field with this?:mad:
  10. margo123

margo123 New Member

All I was asking for was a captain for hire. I wish you guys would express your
    anger somewhere else.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is not a help-wanted classified. There are sites specifically for that. This is a forum where people come to teach, learn, exchange ideas and viewpoints. You may find an item you're looking for here, but that's not its purpose. What you'll seldom find here is shrinking violets. Most of the members here have earned their stripes. We occasionally take each other to task.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Sorry you are angry.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I also wonder why a transport company would be the way to go, as the boAt is way to big to ship over land.

And also, why go up the st Lawrence, wouldn't the Hudson and canal be the quickest route? A boat that size should fit.
  14. captaintilt

I was thinking the same thing Pascal. It's a much more cost saving trip to go through the Hudson / Erie Canal / Oswego Canal and down through the Welland and through the lakes, hopefully with a stop in my hometown of Huron, OH and then up through to wherever the boat needs to go. I'm actually hoping that I can get the call to do it, would love to do it right now.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So it wasn't only me that wondered about that. I'm always looking to learn, which is why I asked for an explanation. Apparently it's considered rude to ask if you're from NY though.

I thought of the canals, but was afraid she might be too tall without some renovations. Since it's a new purchase that could be a hassle, and she's a good sea boat, which is why I suggested the outside route. Also, between the speed in the canals, the locks and the lack of dockage for something that large I thought it might take about the same time and be easier.

Bamboo you were out of line. Man up and own it.
  16. captaintilt

NYCAP. I thought about both routes as well. If it were something other than a GB, I would suggest just going to the SLSeaway and coming down, but those boats sit so well at anchor, and you may be able to get away with just lowering antennas, I haven't been on one for a while. I too would make the canal trip if it were just for lowering antennas, but depending on sat domes, radar array(s), it may be easier to do the Seaway. Either way, they are both great runs, and would love the chance to do them this summer, it's been a while since I've done them.

Also, if the owner is going to be on board, what do they desire to do, just put along the canal system, or get to be able to run, and maybe stop at Portland Maine, Bar Harbor, Halifax, on the way. Just depends on timelines, expenses. If they want to get it to the Lakes quickly, it would be a typical delivery. 12 - 15 hours a day, run hard, stop for the night, and then shove off at sunrise, or before and run hard all day.
  17. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

edited
  18. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I just cannot resist,,,how did you torture my suggestion of looking into a transport company for the move into suggesting it would be transported over land ?? whjen one usually takes yachts, water and moving, it unlikely to mean land transport. Amazing how people put their interpretation into other peoples posts.
    Am off cruising the beautiful PNW in my non land transportable 70 ft Stephens MY
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The specs for that boat say 18'2" to top of house and 22'6" to top of mast. I could be wrong but I think that means that the radar arch (and hard top if there) would have to come off to make the canals. If so that would tilt things in favor of going outside both for cost and convenience. I've been dealing with the height and size issues extensively for almost a year now with a 56 Hat that we plan to do the canals with (although that trip has now been delayed). Moving satelite dishes and rails, are the wires long enough to let the arch fall, can it tilt back or does it have to be removed, etc. A lot of hassles and question marks when it's a boat you don't know the ins and outs of yet.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The OP was looking for a captain. You said he should look for a transport company instead. That would indicate either over land (unlikely) or with a company such as Dockwise (on a ship). That's why I was looking for clarification. My assumption was the latter, but I didn't know any that transported past Montreal. I thought you knew something I didn't know and could teach me something.
    I didn't consider a company that contracts to move a boat on water and then hires whatever captain as I'd assume that would be a person's last choice. Most people want to know who their captain is.