Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander

Globe impellers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Jun 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In servicing a Hatteras stabilizer and thruster oil cooler, I found a hydraulic driven, raw water pump with an old Globe Blue (model 075) impeller. Vanes intact but pretty much set and deemed in poor condition.
    We have no history on this new to us boat. The pump is below the water line.
    The oil temp was getting warmer than I expected. The H/E is in good shape and clear.

I have never liked the Globe impellers in fear that the vanes sailed in the pump vs keeping contact with the housing and pumping less.

I have to replace the impeller before EOD Wednesday.

If it's below the water line, always getting water, I don't think the Globe impeller is needed unless there something else I'm missing.

Ready to install a normal rubber impeller;

Any thoughts?

Thx,
    rc
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Globe impellor should not be needed if pump is below the waterline. I've had issues with the vanes on them deflecting too much.....and won't use them anymore.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thx, J.
    I knew I did not like the Globe impellers from years ago.
    You reinforced the vain sailing problem I realized then.

Installed normal Jabsco 1210-0001 impeller today. Pumps water fine.
    We will see what the oil temp makes Thursday & thru the long weekend.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Update;
    At idle, the standard Jabsco impeller is flowing a bit more water at idle. The Globe vanes were intact but all had a strong set. No cracks in the vanes but I know now (as suspected) it was not pushing much water.

Boat deploys tomorrow, owner will let me know about the oil temp and if any temp changes are observed.
    Boat back later next week.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You might want to give him a spare. On some Hatteras, the issue was after the boat was hauled the impellor for the stabilizers would not be able to self prime because of the height and head pressure, if I remember from years ago. Just be aware, you might have to pop the hose off the discharge side of the pump after the boat is launched and let it prime.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Spare impeller was included. The pump is below water level.
    A spare is one thing, servicing that D*** thing was a project.
    The old adage; the boat was built around this pump.
    I am also disappointed with Hatteras's bonding, They like the hose clamp strapping the green wire to the hard ware. Noticed in many places.
    I used the existing green wire crimped eye to a cover screw and eliminated the hose clamp to the bronze fitting jury rig.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sunseeker uses the same hose clamp with the bolt on it with the bonding wire attached to it. It works well and I haven't had any issues with them. So Hatteras isn't the only one using them.