Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

General Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by K Campbell, Aug 17, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

I am in the process of purchasing a yacht. It will likely be between 50 - 60', Sea Ray, Sunseeker, Azimut, or similar quality. It will likely be a 2011 - 2015 aged boat. I know this is impossible to provide an exact answer I am just looking for an educated guess as I think about the cost of ownership. I have a handle on marina fees, boat payment, insurance, water/electricity at marina, etc. I am trying to get a rough estimate on simple maintenance costs per year. I will provide some information so that you guys can provide some insight. Lets assume a 2011, Sea Ray, 54', inspected at purchase and in good shape. Operates out of St. Thomas and runs 5-10 private charters per month. Purchase price for the boat is $900,000. On an annual basis, should I expect to pay $25,000 on maintenance? $100,000?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I want to know what I am getting into. Thanks in advance.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I would be cautious about relying on the charters to finance the operation. Where did you get the figures as to how much charter you can expect? Is it a current charter boat? Are you an established charter operator with a good client base? Do you have a deal with a company that can feed you these guests regularly? Did the broker tell you this was how it worked?
  3. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't rely on the charter business to finance the yacht. I could finance it without any revenue from the charter business. Quick answer to your questions.

1. Trying to be conservative with 5 charters a month. It could be more and it could be less.
    2. Haven't purchased a boat yet but would assume its not a charter boat
    3. No, not an established operator. Would like to hire a local Captain that knows the market and pay them a salary and give them ownership so they could help with marketing.
    4. No. No deal with a hotel/company that can feed me guests.
    5. No, broker did not tell me this.

Thanks again for the help. Any insight on maintenance would be great.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

As a safe guideline use $1000 per foot as long as no major issues arise.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Following up on K1W1's post, why are you trying to get into a business you know nothing about?

Have you been to St. Thomas and chartered similar boats to yours? If so, did you find any individually chartered boats of this size and type? What have you done to learn of the business?

What do you mean by giving the local captain "ownership?"

K1W1's questions were because there are plenty of charters there run through established businesses. Companies like Moorings have programs that do work for some seeking ownership. Have you looked at those programs?

5 to 10 charters a month is not really conservative in this case. 0 would be conservative with no plan on how to get business.

I would suggest you go to the VI as a customer and see what you find and then talk to those companies and find out how they work.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There are so many factors and unknowns.

First, when you say 5 charters a month, do you mean day / half day charters or longer. This will drastically affect the revenue side of thing.

Before picking a boat, I woudl first look at who will service the engines. STT being an island will offer limited options and while it is a big boating base, I'd try to stick with engine brand that have good local support. For instance, picking a boat with MANs always bring in higher engine maintenance costs and I am guessing that this will be even worst in the VIs. Also having a captain who has been based on STT for a while will help reduce your maintenance costs by knowing the right contractors and suppliers.

Also when I kinda cringe when I read sunseeker, sea ray or azimutt or similar quality. These 3 names are very different in quality and layout.

Talk to local brokers about the realistic market for th boat you are considering.

Crew makes or breaks a charter operation. Again talk to local brokers who maybe able to recommend an experienced charter crew. Personally I love charter work but not all captains do. It is very different from owners trip or deliveries and not all crews can handle it.
  7. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

$1,000 a foot. Wow. Higher than expected. Thanks for the input.
  8. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Thanks. Quick answers to your questions.

1. Yes, I've been to St Thomas (was just there in July) and did a full day charter with my family on a 55' Sunseeker.

2. It's very early in my research process now about the business. I'm talking to marinas, boat brokers, insurance folks, finance groups, and people like yourselves as I try to get educated here. I have not decided if this is something I want to do.

3. Ownership for Captain - I mean give him ownership and treat him like a Partner. So, his compensation goes up as the number of charters goes up. They assist with marketing/spreading the word about the service and helping to hire a first mate on a per trip basis, etc. Start them off with a base salary and heavily reward them for helping to build the business. Basically not treat them like an hourly employee. I don't know how well this would go over with a potential Captain.

4. I did research the different charter options in St Thomas. I also talked with the Captain of my charter for a while during my trip. My Captain during my charter was very good. He knew the island well, was great with my kids, and handled the first mate well. I would build a business around him.
  9. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Thanks. I mean 5 full day charters. I'm definitely in the early stages of getting to know yacht/boat brands so I am not close to buying something. With the Sunseeker, Sea Ray, and Azimut, can you help me rank them in order of quality? I assume Azimut is at the bottom.
  10. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

I have not looked at Moorings programs. Can you tell me more about that?
  11. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Another question for the group. Assuming the boat is in good shape at the time of purchase, how old of a boat should I buy? No older than 5 years? No older than 3? 10?
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You purchase a boat through them. They handle all the chartering. You get up to 12 weeks a year on your boat there or elsewhere.

http://www.mooringsyachtownership.com/program-details
  13. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Thank you. This is really helpful. Very much appreciated.
  14. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Any other groups out there like this?
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The moorings program only covers sailboats and a few power cats geared for the un crewed bareboat market

For day charters you need a boat with the biggest possible aft deck / cockpit and swim platform this is where people hang out. Newer may seem better. It your investment is so much higher than you ll never cover the depreciation. I think the sweet spot is between 5 and 10 years old. By that time the worst of the depreciation is behind and the boat is still fairly new.

Over 10 years old can work too if the vessel has been well maintained and upgraded on an annual basis.

We recently wrapped up 8 years running a 2003 70' Johnson skylounge on day charter ( miami) and weekly charters in the Exumas Boat is going up for sale as we ve moved to an 84 Lazzara and the owner has lost interest. I.ve been compiling a list of upgrades we did over the last 3 or 4 years for the sales listing. Pretty impressive and explains why the boat is in great shape and, even at 13 years old kept us busy with charters

So it depends on the boat, how it was maintained and upgraded.
  16. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

This is very helpful. I really appreciate the feedback. I agree with you on the Moorings program. I spent 45 minutes with them on the phone today walking through the program and the cash flows. Its an interesting program but not for me.

Thanks again for the insight. I agree with you about what area of the boat is important for a day charter. My wife and kids (ages 12 and 8) did a full day charter in St Thomas in July. That is what gave me the idea for this business as I learned the owner lived in Malibu and was just the capital source. We spent the entire charter at the table, eating and drinking and looking around at the islands. We also did some snorkeling off of the back end. That is why I liked the Sea Ray, Sunseeker, and Azimut -- especially when they have the Flybridge because I think those have a pretty good set up for what you talked about. I was looking from 2011 - 2015 and you are right, they are still pretty expensive ($850 - $1.2M purchase price). Maybe I should look at 2007-2010 as well. The price drops pretty significantly and the numbers start to work a little better. As you said, it all comes down to how well it is maintained.

Thanks again. Really good stuff.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For that area, I'd recommend a power cat. Horizon has some in the 50-60' range. They have a massive salon, aft deck, fore deck, and flybridge. They also have space to carry a good sized tender, water toys such as kayaks, and make a great snorkeling platform. To me they would be the ideal day charter boat for that area which is loaded with sailing catamarans and dockage for catamarans. They also have 3 staterooms etc.

I would have no issues going as old as 2000 provided the boat has been taken care of and surveys well. Searays would be the easiest and cheapest to maintain of the 3 you mentioned. Simple Systems, easy to fix and find parts for, and well they age the best when looking at the same years in other boats. You compare a 2005 Searay to everyone else in their class and the Searay still looks good outside with quality gelcoat and stainless and no teak to deal with and the interior ages extremely well also. Sunseeker could be a good choice as well and is a better sea boat, but the teak and gelcoat are probably both at the end of their life by the time you get to 2010 and older. Both expensive to redo. I would steer 100 miles clear of Azimut.
  18. K Campbell

K Campbell New Member

Thank you. Really helpful. Good advice on the Azimut. I knew it was not as strong as the Sunseeker or Sea Ray but wasn't sure how bad they are.