Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Perko

General feedback on Hampton yachts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by BenSeattle, Feb 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BenSeattle

BenSeattle New Member

At this past week's Seattle Boat Show, we again saw the 2009 Hampton 68 but this time the boat was more impressive than we remembered. While we are all aware that no boat is "perfect," this particular Hampton seemed to have what we desire more than most others, especially when price, ease of use and mooring are factored in.

So here's my question: where can I go for impartial information concerning this Taiwanese manufacturer? General magazine reviews (for every boat) are universally positive and those writers just talk about lines, features, power and handling.

So to the obvious: anything good or bad to say about Hampton in general? Quality, reliability, innovation, re-sale?

I'll get glad to hear YOUR frank opinions or be directed to any other source worth pursuing.

Oh yeah, if it's allowed: here's a link to the boat in question:

http://www.**************/boats/2009/Hampton-680-Pilothouse-2133803/Seattle/WA/United-States

Many thanks!
  2. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Don't know. We had a 1982 48' DeFever built built by the CTF yard in Taiwan and it was a very nice boat, nicely finished and put together. I've been on late '80s DeFevers built by different yards that were clearly not up to the same caliber. This is probably a good place to ask but I would think a thorough survey would probably be in order too. As a plus, when you're paying him the surveyor might be more inclined to open up about any known problems with the line or the yard. Good luck, LOOKS like a nice boat.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Depends what yard they come out of, the ad didn't specify. Some of the Taiwanese yards are getting pretty dang good at it, and actually have been for a few years. Taiwanese boats in my experience have always been pretty heavy for their size, and having C-18s and an advertised cruising speed of 20kts causes me to consider that it may be true of this vessel as well. There's good and bad to that, the good is that you end up with a boat built like a brick s-thouse and a good ride, the bad is that it costs you fuel and speed. From the pictures it seems like a pretty nice boat.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree that some of the Taiwanese yards are getting pretty good but still seem to miss the boat in one area or two......but I've still seen some things that were both dangerous and not up to quality on several Taiwanese (mostly well built) boats and things I have never seen on US built boats. The stainless on all of them is still poor quality. One had engine exhaust blankets made of non fire retardent material that disintigrated and melted all over the engines and engine room. Another has debris (fiberglass particles and pieces of beetles that the taiwanese workers chew on) in the fuel tanks and you have to take apart the transfer pumps every tank of fuel and this is on a 100+ foot yacht that is a 2007 and has had 30,000 gallons through those tanks. Another one where the fuel leaked into the stringer because the in hull tank wasn't glassed properly..........things like that......

But in general they have gotten a lot better.
  5. sailor1957

sailor1957 New Member

I saw the 2015 68-6 Hampton Endeavor at the ft laud nov2014 Boatshow
    It looked great - Nice layout, great roomy Engine Room well planned, good install of systems with many having in-line backups, good finish,
    Does anyone have real comments with onboard experience with Hamptons?
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Interesting post.

Apparently, you are not happy with a prior response.

http://www.yachtforums.com/index.php?threads/hampton-endurance.17391/#post-206879
  7. justbob

justbob New Member

I'm bumping this thread hoping there might be some folks with comments on Hampton Endurance, since 2014. I'm getting pretty interested in this boat. Thanks in advance if anyone has experience.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All in all the Hamptons are pretty good. They seem to use good US pumps and engines and they perform ok. They seem to be built strong but have the same Taiwanese nuances that are common with Taiwanese boats.
  9. amuskett

amuskett New Member

I have toured now twice a Hampton 658, most recently at TrawlerFest in Bremerton. I loved the layout and the finish and most everything about it. I don't think I would want the 1000HP engines in it, as the fuel consumption to push that boat up to 18 knots would be staggering. I have a buyer's broker who went over it with me as well and thought it well laid out. It seems to meet most ABYC guidelines in the engine room. I wouldn't mind the weight and the sluggishness at higher speeds as I would run it at trawler speeds.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The C18's are very good motors and you could run the boat at hull speeds most of the time and just run it up to cruise for 30 minutes every 6 hours.
  11. Tthomas

Tthomas New Member

Bob also looking seriously at Endurance 658 . Also interested in more current post 2014 experiences.
  12. Kapn

Kapn Member

I've only seen them at shows and around the docks. Never run one. I was disappointed in some of the standard equipment. I don't remember the exact details because the show is sensory overload. But the boat I saw had a very small fuel transfer system and small stabilizers. I assume all that can be upgraded at a cost. Are you going to run this yourself or with a captain? Seems like they are following the industry in offering a lot of interior volume. Unfortunately there is always a trade off in the height, center of gravity, and ease of handling by a couple.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I run a 62' from time to time. It runs pretty well and is stable. It has the digital Wesmar stabilizers I think, although they could be NAIAD. I forget.