Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Gar Wood's MISS AMERICA VIII

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptEvan, Feb 1, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Having long coveted this classic piece of international trophy racing legend, she is now offered for purchase. Thus I have concocted, no, developed a grand scheme, no, no, no, an opportunity for all of us. We shall buy her as a Forum! If all the membership would kick in a meager $50, I will arrange to both acquire and complete her exacting restoration. Further more, at no added expense, I will humbly keep and maintain this jewel in my own toybarn for all members to come and visit any time. So waddaya say fellow enthusiasts?? What a value! All this for less than a bottle of decent Scotch. Carl, please prepare for the cash!!

Here's the story as offered by her seller's agent:

Miss America VIII. The brainchild of Garfield Wood and designer Napoleon “Nap” Lisee was built in 1929 to be the fastest boat in the world, and was considered by many to be the very best. Prior to his passing, Lisee was quoted “the Eighth was the finest boat he [Gar Wood] ever built, barring none… That’s my masterpiece - the Eighth. It’s even better than the Tenth.” Gar Wood himself once said in remembering Miss America VIII “she’s the best boat we ever had.”

Beginning with Gar Wood’s Miss America I in 1920, the Miss America series of racing boats were designed and built to do two things: win the British International Harmsworth Trophy for the United States, and win the world unlimited water speed record. Gar Wood dominated the sport of motorboat racing in the 1920s and early 1930s. Between 1920 and 1933, Gar Wood won the Harmsworth Trophy race eight times as a driver and nine times as an owner.

Miss America VIII won the Harmsworth twice! In 1929 it won its first Harmsworth race with Gar himself behind the wheel in front of Gar Woods home Detroit Yacht Club on the Detroit River in front of over 400,000 spectators lining the shores of downtown Detroit and Belle Isle. Gar edged out the second place boat, his own Miss America VII with his brother George Wood at the wheel by one one-hundredth of a second. The Eighth entered and finished the 1930 Harmsworth race, but finished second behind Gar Wood’s then-new Miss America IX.

Entered in the Harmsworth race again in 1931, Miss America VIII was to be driven by George Wood in one of the more controversial Harmsworth races in history. In front of over 600,000 recorded spectators, again on the Detroit River, the Eighth was again the victor after Miss America IX, driven by Gar Wood, and Miss England II, driven by Kaye Don both beat the starting gun by more than five seconds and were disqualified.

Gar Wood had met with Harry Miller at the Indianapolis 500 in May of 1931, and at the urging of Harry Miller, Wood commissioned him to custom build two of the most awesome Miller engines ever, the 1,113-ci V-16s. These engines were supposed to be installed in the Eighth in time for the Harmsworth race, but due to a “testing accident” they were not available in time for the race.

Soon after the 1931 Harmsworth race, Gar Wood’s men fitted the custom-built, supercharged 1,113-ci V-16 engines from Miller, with his sights set on more speed. Weighing much less than the Packard V-12s, the radical Millers saw testing in Miss America VIII on the Harlem River in the fall of 1931, where it was clocked at 104 mph. Nothing short of revolutionary, the Millers were designed to rev to 6,000rpm when the racing Packards, like most high-performance engines of the day had a maximum rpm of 2,500. The comparatively lightweight Millers were putting out an estimated 1,800-hp each. These Miller V-16 engines were the last to power Miss America VIII for competition with Gar Wood at the wheel.

Recently reunited after 70 years apart, the hull and the special engines designed for it are hitting the Mecum Auction block in Kissimmee, Florida is an unprecedented event. Perhaps more miraculous than the fact that this extremely famous one-off race boat and one-off engines have survived the last 82 years, is the level of restoration the two have received. While the hull is not quite completed the engines are finished and sound incredible! Over 75% of the hull in Miss America VIII is the original wood, for a wooden race boat, this is remarkable. Prior to the recent restoration, the Eighth was a running boat in the early 1990s (with two WW-II Packard PT boat engines), and exhibited at several boat shows across the country. Today, only three of the original ten Miss America boats exist (VIII, IX, and X), the Eighth is the only one with correct power.

Attached Files:

2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I'm in.
    Absolute thing of beauty that should stay in the US. Can just imagine the view looking forward between that set of exhausts at 100mph.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Most days, I keep the TV on in the background while I'm working, usually tuned to CNN or equivalent doomsday news. Being a vocational student that graduated to a keyboard, I often stay tuned to the Velocity Channel as well. If I recall, Miss America VII came across the block at the Mecum Auto Auction in Kissimmee last weekend. Don't recall the selling price, but definitely recall my thoughts... this thing looks like a waterborne soap box derby racer. With an exhausting view!

Not sure if this would be the right YF mascot, but would love to hear all those silos singing in harmony.
  4. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

I got excited, then saw the pictures.

Nice idea though - let's just find another boat!
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

A little reading material for your enjoyment:

Stepped Hull Design
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thank you! Stepped hulls 8 or 9 years before I thought they were actually in use. Good day when you learn something.
  8. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Price?

Reserve was set at 1.3 Million. Price stalled at $700K. A ton more work needs to be done to it to make it right. Superchargers need to be installed and host of other work as well. If you bought this at the auction, chances are you would have so much time and money spent on the restoration that you would not be able to sell it for what you paid.

Bad Investment, Great piece of History. If you have the dough, do it!
  9. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Ouch!

Come on Mike, you didn't have to use the word INVESTMENT. That is so frightening, and fully counter the spirit of boating. There would be no YF if monetary gain were part of the formula. Did you think in terms of ROI when it comes to your wife or soon-to-be other? Of course not, it's the INTANGIBLES man!

BTW Not that money counts in matters of the heart, but the boat can be bought for far, far less than that auction reserve. I'll look forward to your $50.
  10. carelm

carelm Senior Member

It's always the last 25% that kills you in a restoration project. Still it's a beautiful boat.
  11. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

If it can be bought for less than the reserve, you should pm me some specifics. I have an interested customer..

Also, do we know each other? It's funny that you mention by soon-to-be-other because the amount of money that our wedding is costing, I could buy a really nice boat!
  12. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I love elegant wretched excess like this.
    Lack of any varnish for weight savings?

The bathtub avatar is pretty cool, too.