Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

galley sink macerator

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by about time, Feb 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. about time

about time Member

anyone see a reason why I cant install a macerator under my galley sink? I do a lot of cooking on board. Is there a benefit of 12 volt macerator over a household garbage disposal? Price?
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Interesting idea.

I have an AC disposal on my galley sink. It is a standard household item that will chop up just about anything. Running water will also pass through it when it is not being operated.

I am not sure that a 12v macerator would be as effective on solids.

Also, I don't know if running water will pass through a macerator when the motor is not operating.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen garbage disposals on yachts and they work good. Get a 1hp Waste Kang, it will grind up anything.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My last "insinkerator" lasted 14 years, and I installed a new one to replace it just earlier this year.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Rubber impeller is the base of design. Water will not pass thru.

Macerators usually cut up already soft things typically found in sanitation systems. My thoughts are to nix the macerator idea.
    Sadly, if you want a real Insinkerator, your going to be installing a real 115Vac disposal.
    And that's if, your sink has a larger drain opening.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In 12+ years on board our ole Bert, our galley is in operation constantly. We have never had a galley sink clog.
    Anywhere else on the boat, YES, but never in the galley sink.

Crappy luck and a great galley manager (cook).
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On all of the yachts I've run, well 97% of them, the galley sink drain went directly overboard and I too have never had a galley sink drain clog.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep.
    We still have the small sink drains to 1" (not 1 1/2) hose and then over board.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You might want to be cautious using the macerator in a no discharge zone if your intention is to pass a lot of waste thru it that usually goes into the garbage bag. Hate to be the guy swimming next to that at anchor...just saying.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOLOLOL. That reminds me. Early on in my career I was a deckhand on a 160' Motoryacht and we were over in the Abacos and the standard deal was to leave our anchorage, go to the other side of this island and anchor with a bow and stern anchor so the guests could swim to the beach. Well they used to rotate me to galley assistant for 3 days every week or so and the galley had big windows where you could look out. Well I'd grind up every soft food that came back from the plates in the disposal and watch my own aquarium of fish swimming around eating it as the current was pushing it directly away from the boat...... This went on for about 2 days until the engineer came up and had a wonderful talk with me about how all the food went into a smaller grey water tank and was then macerated overboard......and how all this food was plugging up his macerator pump....LOLOLOLOL.....It was fun while it lasted as I was in my early 20's.
  11. about time

about time Member

Thank you, looks like a house waste king at home depot is what I will do. Getting corian countertops with under mount sink in two weeks, will make sure the drain is the right size.
    How about opinions on a glass top stove? Have a princess stove/ oven right now, 1980 post original equipment still works great. Hate to "upgrade" to something that will cause a head ache. Will my pans go flying if I am waked while cooking?
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, your pans will go flying if you get waked enough on a glass cooktop. Searay puts a nice s/s grab rail around 2 or 3 sides of their glass cooktops that do a pretty good job of preventing that. I do like the glass for both looks and having a flat surface on boats. The Waste Kings can be found on Amazon pretty reasonably and they're built really well. Can get up to 1 HP ones.....The 1HP ones are stout enough you could grind up sardines and use it to chum.....LOLOLOL..... but would'nt recommend that because of the smell......