Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

FUELSEPS

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CaptPKilbride, Jul 3, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

How do these work?

Has anyone had them installed and have had a noticeable difference in the way their engines run?

From reading their information, it seems that the fuelseps are intended to clean the injectors as the engines run, which would lead to cleaner running, less trasnsom soot, and better performance as Walker Engineering states their product will allow.

Has anyone installed them and not been impressed?

As a part of our normal maintenance schedule, we remove all injectors every winter yard period and rebuild them whether they pass the pop test or not, it seems to me that because our injectors (hopefully) are not getting clogged or performing poorly, that installing an injector cleaner would be unnecessary.
  2. brianwill

brianwill New Member

I'm not sure about the Walker Fuelseps, but was curious about the fact that you pull the injectors annually. What kind of engines do you have and how many hours do you put on them annually? (Am I getting too personal?) Do you do this yourself or have the yard do it?
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Brian,

The engines are 1000 hp V-12 MAN's, we are putting about 400 hours a year on them.

Annually, we have MAN factory trained and certified technicians aboard to perform a tune-up/ major maintenance. Included in this is rebuilding the injectors, adjusting the valves, as of late we have been doing annual compression tests as well.

The consensus I have recieved from several technicians is that these engines are prone to overfueling; an injector with a bad spray pattern could quickly lead to cylinder wall glazing, which leads to more problems down the road. Rebuilding injectors as a part of an annual preventative maintenance program is, to me, cheap insurance.

Although I have the tools, spare parts, and knowledge to replace injectors myself, and would do so in the field if I felt it was warranted, I am much happier to let the technicians do it.
    :)