Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Comfort

Fuel separator process

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Nov 7, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I am experiencing an interesting bit of info on how most people feel a fuel separator will work. In my experience I have seen that the fuel separator will separate out mosture in the fuel and seperate out other sorts of foreign duprey such as algea and things of the such in the process. However in the process of seperating the moisture it just happens to collect some of the algea and duprey that causes you to have to clean out the bowl and yet still passes that duprey through the machine clogging your fuel filters. As far as I would be concerened the seperator is not designed really to clean out the duprey but only the moisture in the fuel. Most people feel it is designed to clean every thing (foreign duprey) out of the fuel. I would appreciate hearing other peoples experiences on this matter.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

C4,
    Let me throw my mechanical prowess at your question. A diesel fuel filter/separator unit not only separates the water from fuel, but does filter algae and foreign particles before they get into the fuel components (ie pumps, injectors). Water is separated and settles to the bottom of the fuel filter unit. The valve at the bottom of the filter is to let out that water. Since water is heavier it will settle at the bottom, in the bowl. The filter element's job is to stop foreign matter. Filters come in various sizes, usually measued in microns. The smaller the micron number, the finer the filter and thus the smaller the particles to get trapped. When you get algae or foreign duprey in the filter bowl, then it's time to change the element. Trapping matter is not just a by-product of separating water, it's one of the most crtical jobs of the filter. And if the filter gets clogged, your flow of clean fuel will stop and the engine stops. Fuel is not bypassed around the fuel filter like it is with an oil filter.
    Now if you are talking about a fuel separator that does not contain an element (like the separators that spin the fuel so the water drops) then there should be a filter unit before to prevent the algae from getting to the separator.
    I have seen filters that had no water but clogged by the dead algae (that's what you get when you use a biocide in the fuel, the algae dies and collects at the bottom of the tanks) and therefore shutdown the engines. One step to alleve this is to have the fuel "polished", or run through a series of filters to clean the fuel so you don't get significantly clogged filters. This is also good if you had to buy fuel from unknown sources, that may contain dirt or water. Some yachts have fuel polishing systems onboard, others call in a service from time to time and have the fuel polished at dock side.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Tom
    Thanks so much for your input of knowledge there.
    I believe I may have left out a very important bit of info in my origanal post. I was refering to a mechanical fuel separotor such as the all mighty Alfa Laval brand name separotor.
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I thought you may have inteded that after I wrote most of the reply, but left the response there as it may help others. I haven't used the Alfa Laval separators, but now curious and will do some research (as well as keep an eye on this thread).
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A mechanical centrifuge will not clean out 100% of a Microbiological Infestation.

The cladosporium resinae microbes can pass through the centrifugal process and get into the fuel filters where they continue to grow and multiply.

If you are finding that you have problems with this a first step remedy is to slug dose your remaining fuel stocks with a Fuel Biocide, There are several on the market I like Biobor because it come in handy sized cans and use a product called Amerstat 10 from Drew Ameriod when I cant get Biobor.

Once you have knocked the bugs off a lot more will separate out in the bowl and what's left will pass through your filters and burn in the combustion chamber.

You should also try to remove as much of the free water in the bottom of the tanks as possible as it is in the interface between fuel and water that these little things thrive.

I don't know what model of separator you are running but I have seen a plastic bowl liner( I can't remember if it was Alfa or Westfalia) that allows for a quick bowl clean by just yanking it out and chucking it away, you still have to clean the disc stack but it definitely saves time and mess.

You can further improve the condition of your fuel by throttling back the Separators throughput and batch purifying all the time. Unfortunately a lot of boats are not set up for this so you have to transfer fuel around with the Seperator to run it through it, a process that requires a lot more user input than a simple recirc to and from the same tank.

Don't forget once you have it under control to continue to use a Biocide as part of your housekeeping and fuel management program.

If your problem is really severe the only proper way to get it sorted is to have someone come along and take all your fuel off, centrifuge it, put it through a polishing filter and clean your tanks before returning it onboard. Don't forget to change all your fuel filters and blow out the lines if it is really bad.
  6. rzaccone

rzaccone New Member

Fuel Polishing- How do they charge for this?

In the interest of learning more about polishing. Do they charge by the gallon?
    Does the same company typically clean the tanks as well?
    Any other questions to ask these companies to make sure we're getting the right providers?

Seems having this done prior to a sale may be a good selling point.

Thanks

Ralph
  7. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

How do these system compair to the Algae-X units we have on our boat?
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

In my experience Fuel Polishing costs are based on quantities, I just did a quick Google for polishing rigs and found a pretty interesting site here

http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/fuel_polishing.htm

The one I have had the most personal experience with was a unit running an Alfa Laval MAB 103 Separator and a Filter full of plates packed with Fielders earth as a filter medium.

It used to clean the most badly contaminated fuel very well but needed a lot of cleaning itself whilst in operation.

The Algae x things have been around in one form or another for the best part of 20 yrs. Some say that the enhanced benefits are smoke and mirrors others swear by them.

I will say one thing for those type units though not neccessarily that brand. I was working in a workshop in 1992 and a Customer was complaining about problems with choked filters etc. He wanted to try one of the Magnetic Units the company sold but wasn't convincved it would work. He and the Boss worked out a deal whereby he would pay full price for it and if it didn't work the boss would give him back double his money plus remove it and put everything back the way it was.

That guy became the greatest living advert for that little workshop.

I was on a De Vries Boat that used these (http://www.fuelking.com/en/index.html )things on Mains and Gens I am not convinced that they actually did much.
  9. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

1. Have You asked abt fuel oil or diesel oil ?
    a) if fuel oil (IFO)- then separating temperature should be at 90-95 degC.

b)in case of MGO / MDO separation temp. is appx 40 degC appx.
    For some reasons - this fact is forgotten 9 of 10 times...

2. Don't forget: Separator can work in two modes: clarifier and purifier.
    one eliminates only impurities, another - impurities and water. This can be done by replacing of gravity disc and top disc...
    Please also note - separator capacity (throughput) has to be as low as possible (just enough + a bit more to pace up with engine), then it is most effective.

*Regarding Alfa Laval: They make an ALCAP system, or SU- types, both are very advanced.

3. The best solution - clarifier + purifier, what are switched in "series".

4. I agree with K1W1 - if You got small, irritating animals in fuel :mad: USE BIOCIDE !!!;) try out Drew, Unitor , Vecom. They all have a solution. My best experience - Drew Ameroid.

5. "Bio" problems are becoming worse, if fuel tank is stand-still (not shaken) and when fuel is "getting older".

6. Do not forget to drain settlings daily !!!

rgds,

Andrei
  10. Angela Roper

Angela Roper New Member

Hi Andrei, angela here. when fueling up at our marina, the attendant put some fuel in our water tank. We are out in Georgian Bay and have drained the tank. Any suggestions? Thanks
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you have Diesel or Gasoline (Petrol) in your freshwater tanks you will be best to drain and clean them. Gasoline will float to the surface and evaporate over time as will light Diesel, the removal from the surface is the tricky part.

If the marina attendant did it and you didn't say put it in here there must be some sort of Public Liability insurance just the same as if they filled you up with the wrong stuff or set fire to your boat in the process.

If its Drinking Water the tank will need to be cleaned fully.
  12. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I can envision using gyroscopic stabilizers which can run fuel through them for the mass required for stabilazation. They could separate the water from the fuel while acting as a spinning stabilizer. The algae and other marine growth could be screened and sepereted out and flushed overboard. If you wanted to design a stage further beyound you could use a plasma furnace. At the temperature plasma burns The heat from plasma converters causes pyrolysis, a process in which organic matter breaks down and decomposes to basic elements.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All the Algae X units do is macerate the Algae into smaller pieces that may or may not clog your fuel filters. The Algae X has no way to remove water or remove anything. It just chops it into finer pieces.
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Suggestion is you inform the marina operator unless you were at fault and have them or their insurer hire a professional to come clean the tank and then certify that it is safe for consumption.

How much fuel did they put in it?

This is what marinas carry liability insurance for. In fact, on the scale of claims, this is a relatively small one.
  15. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

All the Algae X units do is nothing. At least nothing that anybody can prove that I've ever seen.

The only independent test I've ever seen showed they did nothing to remove or reduce the bacteria in fuel.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, they do something. They clog your secondary fuel filters with the algae they macerated into finer pieces that goes through the racors and gets stuck in the secondaries.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

$omething else, lighten your wallet in a hurry.
    Oh, can they screw up your AP compass??