Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Walker

Fuel Bladder recommendations

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by FL-NATIVE, Apr 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Have been running boats for years and for the first time will need to carry spare fuel. Can anyone offer advice as to the best types/brands and any other helpful tips? Looking to carry up to 500 gallons of diesel, will not be able to provide support at the sides so the bladder will need to be fully-supporting. Thank you.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

These were recommended to my by a fellow captain when we were planning to cross the Pacific last year. We ended up shipping the boat, so I left them in Seattle.
    While I didn't use them, they were certainly built well and I'm sure they would have served us nicely.
    http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We have crew that have used their products and had great success with them. If we were looking for bladders they would be our first choice.
  4. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks Ken. captain Chuck formerly of the Caprice here. Small world! Glad to see I am on the same page, had looked at ATL's site previously, good to hear from a colleague I respect very much. What method of transferring to the day or other tank were you set up for? Situation here is there is only one tank with the only access through the fuel fill which is located about 2' above the deck the bladder will be located on.
  5. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks olderboater. Please see my reply to Ken Bracewell.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Hey Chuck.
    We were going to rely on gravity, but they have a nifty pump setup that they'll sell you as well. One word of caution- I made certain to speak with our naval architect to be sure there was enough strength in the deck for such a concentrated load.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

One thing too is that even if you're running it through the normal fill, you can still get the far end well below the deck and get a good flow. Pump obviously a lot faster.
  8. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Mucho Importanto as my Costa Rican crew would say! Thanks again.
  9. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks, Good point. Will check