Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Friends think my wife and I are crazy

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtNewbie, Dec 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

Yes I have olderboater; but from what I am looking at, the Defever, Jefferson, Tollycraft and Navigator come closest to what I am looking for.
  2. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Hatteras 56MY.
  3. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

Nice boat; I assume you are on the East Coast as well?
  4. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Yes, that is where we are now and have been for the past 6 1/2 years. We were living in Dallas previously so boated on both coasts. Also had a 3 year stint in SFO mixed in between Dallas shifts. which is when we were using Club Nautique, and am originally from that area, for the first half of my life. Have also lived in Seattle, back in the 70's where we bought our first boat, a 32 ft Tolly flybridge sedan (great times!), Chicago, Richmond, Boca Raton. We have boated almost all of the lower 48 salt water coast and a small chunk of the fresh water coast, with a little Canadian maritimes thrown in and the parts of Canada adjacent to the San Juans. Lots of time in my youth in your neck of the woods, mostly sailing but also some fishing trips. Channel Islands, Ensenada, etc. As much as we LOVE cruising the PNW, when it came to picking what coast we were going to "live the dream" on, cruising-wise, it was an absolute no brainer.
  5. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

You can drive from the east coast to the west coast at night only seeing 200 feet ahead of you but if you want to get there you will...

You can start a businesses with large goals or visions, no funds or a step by step plan but if you want to get there you will...

You wanted to fly a plane, you learned, you did it...

If you have the desire and drive to go spend the rest of your days on a boat go for it.

The only crazy people are the ones saving all their money for the day they die. In the big scheme of things this could all be over in a matter of seconds. What's the point if we can't enjoy and do the things we want to do?

But, do take the advice on here. I have met a few live aboards that after a few years and travelling got sick of it so it's important to have a way out if it doesn't work out long term. Don't put a large portion of your retirement egg into the purchase of the boat as it'll slowly disappear during ownership.

Best of luck!
  6. martind.

martind. New Member

There is a 48' Hatteras cockpit motoryacht for sale in Wilmington California for under $100k . The fuel burn on this boat with 6v92T Detroits at hull speed (8.4 kt) is 6 gal/hr, but has the ability to get speeds of up to 20 kts when you need it.

I am a hatt owner. I have over 35 years boating experience, both sail and power, as well as being a boat builder in my younger days.

I bought a sad tired old (1964) Hatt 41MY , found the best mechanic I could, and rebuilt every system in the boat-both engines, all electricals and plumbing and every structural defect I could find, which were
    not too many. My total outlay including boat purchase was 50K. I could do this because the Hatteras has the well deserved reputation of being the most well built and indestructable boat ever made.

The 48' Hatteras mentioned above has more room inside that most trawlers in the 50-60 ft range, as well as almost everything that is on your wish list, except for the kingsize bed in the master cabin.

I would suggest you take a look at it on **************.

As for retirement...go for it. I am a big fan of the "Capt. Ron" approach.

Just remember, these babies don't have brakes, so give yourself lots of time to manoever.

See you on the water....

martin
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

You do not have reverse? :rolleyes:
  8. martind.

martind. New Member

On a boat that weighs fully loaded over 50,000 lbs...... like the man said " there are old sailors and bold sailors, but no old bold sailors." Throwing the boat into reverse at 2 kts. is much more effective that throwing the boat into reverse at 20 kts!
  9. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

10. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

Great quote! :)
  11. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

Decision

Well, I think I have a winner; while it is still possible I might have a change in heart, right now the best boat for all my desires and needs appears to be a 47 foot Selene.

They are built with full walk around access, have access doors on port, starboard and from the cockpit, have a portugese bridge and a single engine which is typically a John Deere or Cummins 330 HP and a range of over 2,500 nautical miles that could extend to 2,700.

The interior is laid out the way I like...with a sitting area facing the galley with a bar facing into the cockpit area, a pilot house that also has a sleeping berth and two full toilets with showers and two berths the master being a queen.

I've taken the advice of friends and people here in that this is the smallest I could live with and manage with my wife and single engine being simpler, more affordable in maintenance and **** cost effective in the fuel consumption category; and with a superior distance capability than any twin diesel which was important for me as one of my bucket list destinations is the Panama Canal.

A couple of videos of this fine boat if anyone is interested.

Selene Trawler, Selene Yacht (Selene 47, "Maritime") - YouTube

Selene Trawler, Selene Yacht (Selene 47, "Eric K") - YouTube
  12. hamall9

hamall9 New Member

hi YN,

Good luck with your dream in your retirement ..I wish you well.

I am almost 70 and have owned sailing yachts over the years and have lived aboard a 66' for three years with my Wife before selling her.
    Now, 12 years later, we have lived in South/Central/Caribe Americas for exactly a decade plus one day and I have taught myself a new career simply because I love the challenge of work and business.
    Now we are thinking of leasing a Caribbean powerboat next year for several months providing I can work from her and we can have friends visit ... yes we will need a Skipper and at least one or two others.

Amongst many adventures we have transited the Panama Canal and it was all that we expected it to be, only better ... but you don't need to do it on your own boat.

There are many adventures out there in the wide world that will push both You and your Wife to your limits and beyond.
    Living (not just visiting) in a Country that is linguistically and culturally foreign to you will unveil ( or should I say 'unravel' your full range of emotions.

Back to boating and retirement.
    10K per month (either before or after tax) is a very limited income and if you buy a boat whose initial purchase consumes more than 20% of your liquid assets then you are limiting your dream before you even leave the dock.

A dream can turn into a nightmare in a split second and often the correct decision is to just lay down a big credit card ... especially if there is an accident onboard.
    The advice offered on this thread is excellent and so much of it reminds me of our experiences of onboard living .. especially having enough money to be able to enjoy yourselves and watching some of our Marina neighbors who were stretched badly.

Irrespective of the direction that this crazy world takes (I mean who would ever think of borrowing their way out of debt) you can guarantee that boating will not become cheaper and you and your Wife will not be permitted to Xerox money like the Fed and ECB.

You are obviously an adventurous Couple and I wish you every success,
    But please don't become a Couple who in their retirement cannot do this or go there, because your play money for the next month or two or six was diverted into un- budgeted boat maintenance ...or the gold plated, fully guaranteed Pension turns out to be neither.

good luck.
  13. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

I am fascinated by the proposition that having NO DEBT and an income of $10,000 per month would be insufficient for a live aboard lifestyle.

I'm not talking about a 90 foot mega yacht here; but a 2000's new condition single engine Selene trawler. My good friends have an ancient 1980's Krogen that they spend very little on maintenance and upkeep other than the periodic haul outs for hull maintenance and new zincs. They have owned it for nearly 15 years and he hasn't had any major mechanical failures to date.

His experience is pretty extensive and he was instrumental in talking me down in size and single engine. He indicated that our retirement income should be MORE than sufficient to afford a boat of his type.
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You're obviously getting many varied opinions. People coming from different directions. However, many people do live on such boats with less income than you're talking about. But a lot depends on how you use the boat. If you're going to cruise and use it heavily, it's obviously going to be much different than it docked. You talked 15 years for your friend, and on a Selene I would say 14 out of 15 years or 13 out of 15 should be no problem. I would advise you to reserve funds though for that worst possible year, for replacing an engine, doing a major refit, whatever that worst case is.

Cruising questions arise such as how much do you intend to dock at marinas and how much anchoring. 30 days away from home docked at various marinas is going to cost you upward of $3,000 in marina costs. Most however don't stay at marinas more than a small portion of the time.

Simple lifestyle issues like where do you eat. If it's nice fancy restaurants in every port it can mount up quickly, but most meals on the boat and bargain meals on land can be even less than you spend today on food.

I think you should be able to do fine on the appropriately chosen boat with your income. But I think what the naysayers have done that is of great benefit to you is caution you. A lot of difference in a 47 foot Serene versus a 60 foot Hatteras for instance. Less fuel, cheaper dockage, single engine. Now slower but for most liveaboards that's not an issue. Displacement speed is fine with them. When you have no schedule or commitments, how fast you get somewhere isn't important. We happen to be in the minority that just can't at this point in our lives accept displacement speed but I'll tell you clearly that most are fine with it. Maybe when we're older.

And calculate the costs and expenses, but do then assume a higher number. Assume it will be more than your best estimate based on all the information you collect. That way you'll get something and plan and stay well within your budget. And if you just happen to have money left over, I would assume that wouldn't be a problem. Take steps to avoid very bad events too. I'm not west coast knowledgeable but where we are strongly encourage tow insurance. Make sure your regular insurance includes everything such as salvage. I saw a photo of a boat sinking at a dock at a nice marina just the other day. Boat easy, but fuel was getting in the water. The containment and clean up costs there are high.

Plan for getting sick or cutting yourself or breaking a leg in another country. Live your life planning for everything to go right but have contingencies for everything going wrong. When you know it's all covered then day to day life is far less stressful.

Keep in mind too that your thoughts have changed just in the course of this thread. What you're talking about today is much less expensive than where you started. It is more focused. So you're really accomplished what you set out to do. Get assistance in planning and looking ahead. 47' Serene is significantly less expensive than 65' DeFever. Now the next step you need to take is to live the experience. Charter some in the ranges you're considering. See how it really fits for you and your wife. Are you the type couple that can stand several months on the water being with each other constantly. My wife and I absolutely love it and thrive on it, but many couples aren't use to that and find it very difficult. Most of them do adapt. The find ways to still get their private time.

Good luck as you continue to plan. The best thing to is for people to challenge your plans and question them. That will make your plans even better.
  15. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

good luck with your future plans..

one thing that i can recommend looking back on your plans on using the boat---- make sure you arrange to have the most (plus some) efficient ways of getting rid of the heat your engine will emit when it is turned off...;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.