Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Fresh water pump

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Fdemelo, May 31, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fdemelo

Fdemelo New Member

HI
    I have a 2003 52' tiara with a water pump problem. don't know if its because of the water pressure at the dock but its leaking at every connection and it wont pump water when im not hooked up.
    any ideas what it might be?
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I believe that boat has some sort of expansion tank in the system. The fact that its leaking at every connection when hooked up to dock water would tell me that it can't build the pressure enough to actually pump water to the faucets on its own. I'd suggest fixing all of the leaky fittings and try again.

max
  3. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    If you have leaks on the suction side, it's easier to suck air than water. So the pump can't pull water because the air pulled into the suction plumbing breaks suction. If shore water flows thru the pump, the leaks could be from excessive shore water pressure. My water connection to shore comes after the pump, so the pump isn't used in port unless I am running off the tanks.
    As above, fix the leaks. Take a pressure reading of shore water. You must have an expansion tank after the pump. Make sure the bladder pressure is correct. Opening a faucet can help the pump get initial suction.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our pump isn't in use when we're hooked up to a dockside water supply.

If it won't pump from the onboard tanks... without regard to leaks... could also be a failed pump... or failed electrical connections... or a failed breaker... or a breaker not turned on...

Our freshwater pump only has two connections, an innie and an outie.

It happens ours are the QEST snap-in connectors; if those are loose (un-snapped) for some reason, the connection isn't sealed. If your pump has those kinds of connectors, check to see they're fully inserted into their track.

Or... another style of connection can be simple hose clamps. It should be easy enough to see if those are tight.

-Chris
  5. Txcruiser

Txcruiser New Member

Maybe I am missing something but if you are connected to dock water the onboard pressure water pump will not operate. It is intended to pump only when disconnected from shore water. I just replaced my pump with a new Johnson variable speed pump that is a little higher capacity and pressure. I don't have an expansion tank. Bought the pump on
    Amazon.