Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Freon question.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by g collis, Apr 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. g collis

g collis Member

I have one A/C unit that takes R-417A and needs some refrigerant. I have read a good bit on this subject and R417 can be, and is recommended to top off with no damage, or to replace the Freon in an R22 system. The technicians call it, "a drop in". This may be a dumb question. But, does the reverse then apply, that R22 can then be used as a "drop in" on R417?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

R417a was a quick blend of agents to replace the un-green r22. The beauty was it used the same oil.
    It didn't work as good as r22 but a fast fix.

However, I bet you can not find a bottle of R417A.

I can not tell you of a fix, but reclaiming , and recharging with RB22 is what I understand to do. Topping off with RB22 (or R22) on a R417A is not suppose to work.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

R417 was a eco friendly drop in for R22. One boat I manage, a 2007 with 6 units had R417a in all of the units. It is not as efficient as R22. We dropped the 417, vaccuumed the system and recharged all units with R 22 and got 20% better efficiency (lower temps out of the vents). Some units were better than others (lower temps) but most generally went from 54-56F with 417 to 44-46F with R22. Units have been running for 2 years with R 22 with no issues.
  4. g collis

g collis Member

Perfect. This is exactly what I'll do. Just get rid of the 417A and go back to R22. I've got 20lbs of 22. Thanks so much.
  5. g collis

g collis Member

Hey Ralph, I'll just vacuum out the 417A and replace it with r22. Thanks for your help.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

We ran 56 psi on the low side. 58-60 psi would cause some compressor chatter. We haven't had any issues of any of the units flashing low pressure, nor high pressure. It's been about 2 years since we swapped 6 units over. I replaced one right before that with a new R410 unit and it blows 35F out of the vent...LOL....These are all package units.