Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Foul weather gear- what are you wearing?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by blessaway, Jun 7, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. blessaway

blessaway New Member

Looking to pick up some gear later for the winter on Puget Sound. Weather likely 30s-50s F, rain, some seas. Mostly day trips and possibly a few overnights.

A few things I've looked at: West Marine Third Reef - Tried it on and it seemed a little light weight, but maybe with a fleece and some bibs, it'll be plenty warm?

Helly Hansen Skagen Jacket - Have worn an earlier version of this jacket, seemed pretty good, but things start to get pricey when you add in bibs, boots, etc.

Helly Hansen Salt Jacket - Haven't tried this on, but seems like middle ground between the West Marine and the higher end HH.

I'm no expert, so any opinions/advice are welcome.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I bought a Musto Offshore suit for doing sailboat deliveries almost 30 years ago. It was quite expensive for a young guy at the time, but it's still going well today.

Warm, dry and not silly straps and unnecessary buckles or tabs. Good stuff.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have a set of Colombia gore tex pants and jacket and it's dry and lightweight, you don't sweat in it and it is lightweight.
  4. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

There´s a small company in Germany called Parasail.de. They also do the foul weather gear für the DGZRS, the german maritime rescue service.
    And their offshore foul weather clothes are excellent quality for a very moderate price, which is something I really appreciate. :D
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I was once a Henry Lloyd faithful, but now I only buy Musto.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Same with me... ;)

Musto.jpg
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I used to buy HH offshore gear for the family for many years. High end clothing for serious sailors but you have to pay for the name also. Great quality but overpriced.

Since we have to provide Crew with uniforms and heavy weather clothing including footwear, we switched to Musto. Quality is great and they are very flexible with customizing, i.e. yacht name, graphics and special colours, if you buy in numbers.

But for life jackets, safety belts and immersion suits we stick to SECUMAR according to SOLAS standards.