Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn

Finding a Captain

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fall Rush, Aug 17, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fall Rush

Fall Rush New Member

As I begin a search for a full time crew for a new MY, I'm curious if anyone has experiences and/or suggestions of how they would go about such.?
    There are so many different resources nowadays from professional Crew Management , to headhunters to direct online advertisements, I don't know where to begin.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The first thing I'd do for any job search is write a description of what I'm wanting out of a captain, the responsibilities of the position. I'd also write what kind of experience I'm looking for. It's as much for you as it is for candidates as saying "I want a captain" can be interpreted many ways by different people. Many of the crew staffing sites have job descriptions you can work from.

To find one, I'd just ask around. Ask at Marinas, at Boatyards, and anywhere you find other Captains. You've spoken to three brokers. I'd bet at least one of them knows of a captain in need of a position. They may have just sold the boat he was on. The word gets around pretty quickly regarding Captains in need of positions. We heard of our first captain we hired in the on site restaurant at a marina and then the next day at the on site restaurant at Rybovich. There are good captains readily available as some jobs are seasonal and others just end, largely due to boats being sold.

A word about captains for your needs. Generally one thinks that the skills and pay are less on smaller boats. I'm looking at one site as I type and it classifies Senior Masters with 10+ years experience as a Captain for boats 160 feet and above, Captains with 5+ years experience as Captain for boats 100 - 160 ft and Junior Captains with 2+ years as Captain or Mate for boats under 100'. I have a problem with that as I think it greatly underestimates the experience needed and responsibilities for a smaller boat. Typically you're looking for someone to do everything. You have no engineer so the captain must be savvy in that area. You have no manager other than the captain. You have no one else for the captain to turn to for ideas on solving a problem. I personally would hire the Junior Captain above with 2 years experience as a number two person on a larger boat, but not as the sole captain on any boat that has no engineer.

You're putting your property and your life in the Captain's hands. It's not the place to cut corners or choose based on pay.

You may get some private messages here from people who know of available captains.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Excellant advice, especially about captains. That was obviously a large boat site that doesn't respect or understand the job of a small boat captain that you looked at. I made my career in the small boat field. I'd never hire any captain with less than 5 years experience, except as a mate. I'm reminded of a 50GT Master I hired once as a mate for a run to Florida. At our first stop I had him tie us up, and then showed him how I like it done. I told him that by the time we got to Florida he'd be a good deckhand. His response was that he "doesn't need to learn how to be a deckhand, because (he's) a captain". He qualified for his sea time by having a little Sea Ray registered to him for a few years of summertime weekends on Long Island's south shore bays. The rest of the trip was drunk every night, green every day, almost ran over a diver, fell asleep at the helm.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

So in other words its a good thing you hired an experienced hand to take over when you were inebriated and incapable yourself?
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah that's it, LOL. I used to take the attitude that what a crew member did on his own time (in port) was his business. After that trip it changed to not a drop of liquor, not even a beer, until the trip is concluded. By the end of a Master's first issue (5 years) I would expect them to have matured or been weeded out. Before that they lack experience IMHO.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

As to the OP, you can find one through a good broker usually is the best way. Word of mouth is always best. The other way is to dockwalk, find really meticulously maintained yachts similar to what you're looking to buy, talk to the Captain and ask if he knows of anyone available that is good. I have done pre-purchase inspections for several members here on an hourly basis, but am located in South Florida.

It depends, and you cannot judge every master on their first issue because of one bad example. I worked as a mate for several years, did a lot of deliveries working for a very busy delivery captain, was assistant dockmaster of a marina before that, and also know several friends that started when I did. All of us, once we were licensed were pretty darn experienced in the Captaining side of things, reading markers (channel and day), plotting a course, using electronics (we studied what we didn't know or a new machine), but maybe were lacking experience in quick decision making skills. However, none of us, had any issues and we were all very professional and rarely drank in our off time and never drank on trips, even at the dock at night. BUT, we all had to work very hard to even get a position as a mate on boats (100'<), and we were in it because it was a passion, not a paycheck.

I see a lot of Captains that are on their 4th issue or above and are drunks, into drugs, and/or have become extremely complacent etc. I know of several Captains that have lost their full time positions due to drug use and they were all over 40 years old and in the marine industry for decades. One in the early 2000's went from being full time on a 74' Manhattan and managing a second 74' Manhattan, to becoming a bicycle riding crackhead. Another ran a MY aground coming in Hillsboro inlet that was shoaled over, (not his fault) however he was half drunk and they put his breath smelled of alcohol on the report. Another broke a bone and became a major oxycontin user and lost his job making really good money running a SF.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You and your colleagues pressed on to your subsequent issues. Some of us do. So many, especially under 100GT, come in on a dream (certifying sea time by having a toy registered to them), and are gone before their first renewal when they find out how hard it is to get a break in this business. Although the passion is absolutely required to be successful in this profession, so is reputation and contacts. It's a hard business to make your bones in.

Yes, a lot of captains do suffer from substance abuse. A lot of our employers do also. It's part of the lifestyle. For the over 40 crowd, a lot are on prescribed medicines, and I'm sure many like to smoke a joint in their off time, same as a lot of people. But in our profession it's zero tolerance. Alcohol abuse is very prevalent, because you can be drunk as a skunk all night and totally hung over but run a boat legally once your BAC is low enough. The Oxy, etc. is really scary. I can't count the number of times doctors have prescribed Oxy or Vicadin and such for me. It's one of the most addicting substances created by man and it's given out like candy. That's ruined many many lives. People who were golden their entire lives, and suddenly their life turns upside down. That's why reputation is so important in this business. It always amazed me how many people hired me when all they knew about me was that I was licensed. The OP can get the name of a captain from a bunch of sources. He needs to check them out. Ask about experience. Talk to people who know him.
  8. olderboater

Both make a point that checking references very carefully is extremely important and not just the references the captain gives. Check with boat owner, charterers, whomever. Check with other crew. Then make your policies very clear and, in my case, that does mean no drinking the night before operating a boat. My wife and I follow the rules as well. Now, as a captain you will see lots of alcohol and drug abuse. But that in no way excuses abuse of either by a captain. Stews are a great source of information as they know all.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If I told you how often I've been offered drink or drugs, ashore and even while cruising, you'd be amazed. You make a very good point about having clear rules (and expectations). The relationship with a captain is personal, yet he's your employee and a professional. The better he knows about how you like things, the easier his job (or he can see that the job may be wrong for him). A very conservative captain may not be right for a boat full of bikinis, and another captain may be bored to death doing tea cruises with an elderly couple. If you're going to spend a lot of time with a stranger, it's best to cover as much as possible as early in the process as possible.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

What size boat and how many crew are you looking for? How will the boat be used?
  11. olderboater

From his other thread:

I am currently evaluating 3 boats; an 88', and two 9o footers. Ages are 2011, 2012, and 2013

And he indicated a probable crew of two.
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Thanks