Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Burger

Feedback on MTU 10v2000 Engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by DOCKMASTER, Mar 10, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

I have the original mimeographed course text of this from Prof. Joe Liston's courses he taught in aircraft piston engine design in the late 1930 at Purdue (two friends that took the course but both have passed on, and no I did not attend Purdue) anyway this is the definitive text on the mechanical aspects piston engine design in my opinion. Just to be a hobby collecting engine design and testing texts... The course was to design an engine (the professor suggest not picking an exotic type) for the course. But it has all the equations for calculating forces and balance forces...
    http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001040312
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, any of my comments are just from an owner's and captain's purchase and/or usage perspective and with no mechanical knowledge of their inner workings. I've run some of them. I look occasionally at the maintenance logs. I can do limited checks, look at guages, add fluids and change fuel filters and that's about my limit. I do make sure ours are run a lot.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Great find KARO ! But opposite engines, 180 degree v-engines and radial egines are even more difficult.

And OB I agree, the normal owner/operator of a privately used pleasure boat does not need to know all that mathematics but from a professional marine chief engineer you can and have to expect such knowledge.

Equation of mass forces.JPG
    Equation of mass forces
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. olderboater

I agree. I dealt with such equations long ago as a college freshman and by my sophomore year had forgotten them all.

Fortunately, while engineers can certainly add to the information the OP is seeking, one doesn't necessarily have to be an engineer to answer his question.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You can pass your Chiefs orals even if you can't quote every single formula known to man kind as long as you can tell the examiner where you can find that information.
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

KIWI, the formula was more or less added as a little joke. Explaining the basic disadvantages of a V10 engine, I was trying to say, that a professional chief engineer (not me anymore) would be able to prove that by means of his professional knowledge ;).

There is not very much alternative for the OP, if he wants or needs to replace a 10V 2000 in this HP, size and weight regime. As the OP seem to live in Alaska, I would not take a MTU or a MAN Highspeed at all.

If the boat is able to accept the added weight and the larger sized engine(s), I would choose the Caterpillar V12 C32 Acert, 1.600 HP because of the better service in his area. But if size and weight are a real concern, he would be stuck with the 10V 2000 MTU or a 12V-1550 or 1650 MAN. But I am afraid, the MAN could be a little exotic in his area. All 3 are good engines with some differences in maintenace costs (especially in Alaska).
  7. olderboater

Except...the real proof of an engine is results and history. Just because it's a more difficult engine to design and some inherent difficulties there, doesn't mean the end product isn't good. That's a separate issue. Pacific Mariner and Westport built a lot of 85's with the 10V2000M93. I've actually been on and at the helm of three of them and very pleased with the engines in that situation. Whether it's the appropriate engine for the OP's boat, I can't say, but in his search for greater HP, but with size limitations, it appears to be his best choice.

Just saying, an engineer can present a valid argument against 10 cylinder engines but that does not prove anything in regard to the engine being discussed. Now, if an engineer has run this engine and had problems due to the inherent design challenges then that's a different thing.

As to service capabilities I'd suggest he ask around starting with Alaska Diesel Repair in Ketchikan.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Maybe a bit more technical than I envisioned but I think I'm following the logic anyway.
    I can get MTU or MAN serviced out of Seattle. It's only 1.5hr flight to Ketchikan and most dealers are used to servicing the southern Alaska area from Seattle.
    I cannot go to CAT c-32's , They are too big. CAT C-18 would be a possibility if I want to stay with similiar current HP rating. I'm looking to replace DD 12v92ta rated at 1110 hp each.
  9. olderboater

We do have MAN V12 1360's and are pleased with them. My personal preference would be the MTU 10V2000 M93 (1500 hp) but so far we've had good luck with both. We have about 1200 hours on the MAN's to the best of my memory. While they're lesser HP here's a bit of comparative information from our experiences. The MAN is 8" wider while the MTU is 2" longer and taller. The 8" can pack an engine room a bit.

Now fuel consumption is interesting and may be misleading as it's simply our experience on very different boats. However, here it is for what it's worth.

1000 RPM MAN 25 gph MTU 14 gph
    1500 RPM MAN 58 gph MTU 42 gph
    2000 RPM MAN 105 gph MTU 96 gph
    2300 RPM MAN 137 gph
    2450 RPM MTU 148 gph

Now in that chart part of the MTU advantage is operating at a lower percentage of WOT. The only place we see a significant difference is at the very low end.

I do like the comparative quietness of the MTU although ours are in very different type boats. I'd think still you'll see about a 5 decibel difference and maybe as much as 8.

While I don't know the SF world, I think of it as high performance, especially Donzi. A lot of performance/sport boat builders use MAN's, including Riva, Pershing, and Sunseeker.
  10. XavierP

XavierP New Member

Hi, very interesting comments.

To bring some keys, the first generation of M93 were a bit sensitive like any new product out of production line but since couple of years, they fixed the most common troubles from claims feedback. Very compact, light but powerful engines

The M94 gains about 8 to 10% from M93 power thanks to electronical and injection improvements mainly, no visual component evolution between these two series.
    I saw some yachts 25 to 30m, with only 200hrs, breaking down their universal joints due to bad design (unbalanced shaft angles + missing this 10% power increase), bad install (bad screw quality, length and washers).
    One broke the shaft joint which made a break in the hull and so water flooding and boat sunk. Another one, shaft pulled out all hydraulic hoses of the surface drive propellers and caused a fire. Two major building mistakes and so major refits....

Unlike the new M96 that I could inspect at Fort Lauderdale boat show.
    Some major changes in the components and designs, notably an intercooler with a sea water cooling stage inside. I would be a bit afraid to bring back some sea water inside engine, not just on the coolant plates heat exchanger by the sea water pump. If I remember well, there is a second high pressure pump, one by bank... So weird to me that you must check this before trust.