Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Federal Documentation

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Scott M, Sep 19, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scott M

Scott M Member

I am hoping that one of you experts can help me.

I was boarded by the Coast Guard for a standard safety check a few weeks ago while underway on the Chesapeake Bay. Everything checked out...no problems. They were getting ready to leave and one of the Coast Guardsman said that he was surprised that the boat was not Documented. I told him that there is no lienholder (who would typically require that) and I registered it with the State of Maryland. He said that any boat (commercial or pleasure) must be documented if it is over 5 tons. He then showed me in his rule book, where it stated exactly that. I have read some conflicting and unclear federal guidelines in an effort to clarify.

Does anyone here know if this is true or not? Thanks.

BTW...they did not cite me for any violation of the rule...if you were wondering:)
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No, it is not true. It may be documented it it's over 5 tons. No size must be.

Bet he doesn't know how tons are arrived at either as it isn't weight but it's volume based. You're perfectly ok. He's perfectly confused or you misunderstood.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I was boarded for a safety check a couple weeks ago also off of the Choptank.
    Mine is registered also, no mention of documentation.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

BS. Doc is optional and there is a minimum displacement to qualify but there is no rule that says a boat must be.
  5. Scott M

Scott M Member

That is what I thought. Thanks for the input!
  6. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

The only requirement for Fed Docs is if you have a lienholder (i.e. bank). It may have been desirable at some point in time to have boat documented but no longer. State registration is still required, unless you're under a foreign flag.
  7. Charleston

Charleston New Member

It might still be helpful when returning to the U.S. from a foreign country.
  8. GhostriderIII

Not really. We have to send our arrival package 72 hrs prior to quaratine dock.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Us customs doesn't care whether you re documented or not when coming back... They ll take a state reg or doc nr. No difference. Thousands of undocumented boats go back an forth to the Bahamas. No issues, no need to warm them ahead of time either. Not sure what this has to do with the question
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I dont think he is involved in "trade"
  11. GhostriderIII

OP is not. We are. There are specific rules we must obey prior to entering any US port.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Irrelevant to the thread as the OP is asking about a US flagged small pleasure craft...
  13. GhostriderIII

I answered his question 07 Oct